DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Stills/Image Slideshow video help..... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/51970-stills-image-slideshow-video-help.html)

Andrew Wenum September 29th, 2005 04:49 PM

Stills/Image Slideshow video help.....

Hello, I'm making a video for my friends mom for her daughters wedding. She wants me to take all the pictures from her childhood and create a slideshow all they way to now. What I need help on is what would be the best way to do this? I have a scanner and I know i could scan all the images but that would take a great deal of time to do but i might get the best quality. I also thought of maybe just using my digital camera and taking pictures of each image with that then i could import about 100 or so at a time which would be a great timesaver, but would that destroy the quality of the pics? I also thought of just filming them but i doubt ill do that because I'll be limited and that will def. be horrible quality.

All I'm doing is creating some titles then having a slideshow go along where I'll use the motion on the images and basically just have transitions from each one as they progress. Then have audio in the backround, I'm not to sure on live video at the moment.

But any help and suggestions to help me out would be much appreciated.

THanks, Andrew.

Ryan Baker September 30th, 2005 09:05 AM

Group Scan Method
The fastest workflow I've found is to scan 3 to 4 images as a group at 300dpi and then save as a single Photoshop file (lossless). Do this for all your photos and then come back into Photoshop and split them out into separate images. Using Photoshop shortcut keys and programmed actions can make this fast. Although, scanning images individually will provide the best scan, I've been happy with the results of this method.

Ordering Images to Save Time
Also, ordering your images prior to scanning will help you to keep the same order when you save them and bring them into your video/slideshow editor. If you have 999 or less images you can name them as follows: 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg, etc. This will stay in sequence when sorted by Name in Windows Explorer.

I've used all the methods you've describe to digitize images.

Photographing Method
Photographing images may seem faster. However, you have to consider glare, avoiding effects of perspective, and distortion if shot too wide. It took me too much clean-up in Photoshop to get the quality I wanted. I only use this method if an image is permanently mounted (scapbook, etc.).

Video Method
Video is quick. But, as you mention, the low resolution limits your options and you still have to worry about glare, avoiding effects of perspective, and wide angle lens distortion.

Video/Slideshow Editor
I use Vegas to put my slideshows together. It allows you to drag an ordered group of images to the timeline with a set time interval and crossfade transition. If you want to automate motion and zoom, you can purchase the Ultimate S 2 plug-in from VASST. I've set the motion and zoom manually for all my shows because I like control and don't own Ultimate S 2.

Ryan