Sony BVS-3100 Tally interface at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony BVS-3100 Tally interface

Hello all,

I have a Sony BVS-3100 composite switcher set up in my church.

We have 3 Sony CCU-M5 CCU's that are connected to 2 Sony DXC-D30 Cameras and 1 Sony DSR-370 camera through 26-pin multicore cables. I am needing help with how to get tally from the switcher to the CCU's and then out to the Cameras.

The switcher has a 25-pin parallel connector on the back that is labeled tally. The CCU-M5's have a screw terminal on the back labeled tally.

The switcher manual states that Pins 1-2 of the tally output connector go to switcher input 1 (in my case CCU #1). Pins 3-4 of the tally output connector go to switcher input 2 (in my case CCU #2). Pins 5-6 of the tally output connector go to switcher input 3 (in my case CCU #3) and so on for all 8 switcher of the switcher inputs.

Is it as simple as getting a 25-pin parallel cable and cutting the male end off, using a voltage meter to sort out the right wires and wiring the appropriate wire to each of the 3 CCU's?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony BVS-3100 Tally interface

You can do that or look for a breakout card that you can attach a 25-pin to. I did this with some 15-pin DIN connectors on some rack mount equipment in a control room. The cards fit directly on the back of the rack mount chassis for some air-control TBCs/Audio Mixers cards. The cards have screw mounts for wires that are numbered so it's easy to get the correct wiring. I went to L-Com for them and they might have the same for 25-pin connectors.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check this one out. I found it on eBay. Would this work?

DB25 Female Signals Breakout Board Parallel Port Header Screw Terminals | eBay
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That's it, you might need a 25 pin wire to go with it as it looks like a female connector and that is probably what is on the back of the switcher. Regular circuit wire available at Radio Shack will work from the breakout card to the CCUs. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion