DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Is this the worst commercially produced video ever? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/520719-worst-commercially-produced-video-ever.html)

Colin McDonald December 20th, 2013 01:08 PM

Is this the worst commercially produced video ever?

Borders Railway a year down the line - Video - Midlothian Advertiser

(You may have to wait for a Marks & Sparks advert to play first.)

Apparently filmed during a series of earthquakes by a cameraman suffering from St. Vitus' Dance and with the direst of audio, it comes complete with typos in the titles.

James Manford December 20th, 2013 01:19 PM

Re: Is this the worst commercially produced video ever?

That has to be a joke? or surely it was done by an employee filming another employee?

Robert Benda December 20th, 2013 01:27 PM

I assume they filmed it with someone's smartphone.

David Heath December 20th, 2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1825185)
That has to be a joke? or surely it was done by an employee filming another employee?

It seems to be a video on a local newspapers website. I can only assume a print journalist was invited along by the construction company to do a story for the paper and the papers editor told them "oh! do a bit of video for the website whilst you're there".

There are times when nothing is better than something........

Why not comment directly to the paper, Colin?

Colin McDonald December 20th, 2013 02:00 PM

Not sure the website is firing on all cylinders either:

Quote:

Make a comment. Comments must adhere to our house rules.

Please wait while we add your comment.

Please wait while we contact Facebook.
Do you wish to connect to Twitter?
OK Cancel
Do you wish to connect to LinkedIn?
OK Cancel
Do you wish to connect to Facebook?
OK Cancel
You must log into facebook before your comment is posted. Do you wish to connect to Facebook?
OK Cancel
Thanks for submitting your comment. It will appear after editor approval.

We were unable to post your comment to Twitter.

We were unable to post your comment to Facebook.

We were unable to post your comment to LinkedIn.

We restrict rapid posting of multiple comments for quality reasons. You have already posted a comment within the last several seconds. Please try again later.

We limit the number of comments, reviews, and postings an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your comment again later.

We are unable to add your comment at this time.

We are unable to add your comment. Are you logged in?

We will not add your comment until you remove the following words: .

We're sorry, but the comment you are replying to has been removed from the site.

Please let us know what you think.

Please shorten your comment to 3000 characters.

characters left character left characters must be removed character must be removed

... and all of that showing before even attempting to register to comment.

David Heath December 20th, 2013 02:13 PM

:-) Sometimes - there's a lot to be said for a good old-fashioned letter......

Rob Cantwell December 21st, 2013 10:34 AM

its hilarious, all they needed was a fella like the Nelson Mandela memorial signer and it would have been a right howler!

:)

Derek Heeps December 22nd, 2013 05:37 AM

It is pretty bad , but surely the work of an amateur with no clue or skills rather than a 'commercial' production !

The project is an interesting story , so I hope it is being documented by someone competent .

Colin McDonald December 22nd, 2013 10:48 AM

Maybe we should get together Derek and make them an offer. :-)

I bet NetWork Rail aren't too impressed as they provided someone to be interviewed in various locations.

This may be a local paper but have a look at the size of the parent organisation:

Quote:

We are a multimedia company with around 4,350 employees in 160 locations around the UK, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland.

We publish 13 daily newspapers, 154 paid-for weekly newspapers and 37 free weeklies as well as a stable of glossy monthly lifestyle magazines. Many of our titles produce their own supplements and magazines in both print and digital format.
and you're telling me all they can afford to produce videos for their website is an amateur with a cellphone?

One day to film and one to edit should be more than enough. What should we offer to do that?
I'm sure we have all the gear we need. (Rain covers included).

EDIT: Here's one of their previous videos: Transport minister on Borders Railway project - Midlothian Advertiser

No cellphone here (although the audio is iffy and the transitions cheesy).

Colin McDonald January 14th, 2014 05:03 PM

Now: The best of the bunch!

By contrast, I recently discovered some interesting and professionally executed videos on the progress of the Borders Railway presented by Paul Brownlee of Radio Borders and produced by Stuart Cameron of Hotdisc Studios, Selkirk.

(October 2013)

(November 2013)

(January 2014)[/QUOTE]

Derek Heeps January 14th, 2014 07:25 PM

Hi Colin , I had been away for the holidays after my last post here and hadn't seen your last message .

I'm glad someone has taken the trouble to do some research and produce a decent video telling the whole story ; I've only watched episode 1 just now but it looks well made with some nice archive footage , decent interviews and a presenter to hold the story together .

Yes , if you ever need a hand with anything locally , I'd be happy to help any way I can .