Color bar / Test pattern question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color bar / Test pattern question

Hello All,

I was watching a live sporting event on a local television channel today. The broadcast had ended and had faded to black for about a minute. Then there was color bars on screen with tone for about 30 seconds, until a set of commercials played, and a new program started.

What was different from what i was used to about the color bars was that there was a small white box overlaid on top of the color bars bouncing from top to bottom every one second or so. Then overlaid atop everything was the normal character ID.

Does anyone know what the bouncing white box is? what is it called? and what is it's purpose? Nothing major, just curious. I have never seen this before.

Thanks!! Merry Christmas!!
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Color bar / Test pattern question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Legleiter View Post
Does anyone know what the bouncing white box is? what is it called? and what is it's purpose? Nothing major, just curious. I have never seen this before.

People have been caught out when a live feed goes away by their decoder showing a still frame. (Unlike in analogue link days.) They see bars and ident and assume they are still receiving a signal.

By having movement of some sort within the frame, it stops the confusion. Signal goes away, freeze frame, and ball stops. A clue to be getting on the phone to whoever is sending the signal to you.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is an example of what i saw:

Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Legleiter View Post
Hello All,

I was watching a live sporting event on a local television channel today. The broadcast had ended and had faded to black for about a minute. Then there was color bars on screen with tone for about 30 seconds, until a set of commercials played, and a new program started.

What was different from what i was used to about the color bars was that there was a small white box overlaid on top of the color bars bouncing from top to bottom every one second or so. Then overlaid atop everything was the normal character ID.

I saw that every day when I worked in broadcast but never thought to ask what it was for.

I could guess.. maybe it's used to check the waveform and vector scopes are working as it shows movement? I'm probably wrong though :P
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I could guess.. maybe it's used to check the waveform and vector scopes are working as it shows movement? I'm probably wrong though :P
Seeing the posted image, I'm pretty sure my answer is correct - as long as the box is moving, it's showing you're receiving a proper signal. If you see a stationary box, you've lost the signal and the decoder is just showing a freeze frame from the time it went away.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion