DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   New equipment cart (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/520982-new-equipment-cart.html)

Bill Kerrigan January 9th, 2014 07:56 AM

New equipment cart

I’m about to start the build of a two shelf, equipment cart…
I don’t think there is anything like it on the market.

I’m just finalizing the length, width, height and weight.
I need it to be a one person lift, hold all my basic gear, fit in most elevators and pack in a minivan.

Any suggestions on size?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Kerrigan
Montreal, Quebec, Canada,
http://www.kerrigan.ca

Craig Chartier January 9th, 2014 03:08 PM

Re: New equipment cart

34 inches high
45 inches long
18 inches wide

Fits in all mini vans with just folding down 3rd row. If you go any longer then the 2nd row seats will not let you close the hatch

go any taller and the cart cant fit into van without tearing it down.

go any narrower and the cart is too top heavy and will fall over when pushing

bottom tray should be heavier than top tray

good luck

Bruce Dempsey January 9th, 2014 03:45 PM

Home Hardware and Crappy tire have garden wagons with inflatable tires and two levels and pull handle various sizes. The last one I bought was 100 bucks and met the criteria you set out

Bill Kerrigan January 9th, 2014 06:25 PM

Thanks Craig...
Good advice.
I was planning to make it 45 inch long by 20 inches wide.
And yes the bottom will be heaver than the top.

Thanks Bruce...
I'm not trying to save money, on this prototype.
I've spent over $200 just on the tires.

Warren Kawamoto January 10th, 2014 02:33 AM

....and weighs less than 10 lbs.

Bruce Watson January 10th, 2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kerrigan (Post 1827101)
I’m about to start the build of a two shelf, equipment cart…
I don’t think there is anything like it on the market.

Sounds like you are remaking the multicart. Search around and look at the decks and shelves. Or maybe you didn't give me enough information to see what's different about your idea.

In any case, for dimensions, etc. check out your competition. They've already done that research for you.

Ervin Farkas January 10th, 2014 09:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife found this for me but I have no idea where.

Fits perfectly into your requirements - I carry a Pelican 1550 and a large Petrol bag strapped to this cart using two bungee cords on a daily basis as a legal videographer. Folds nicely, it's sturdy, rolls easily, fits in any and all elevators, on occasion (if no handicapped entrance is available) I can even pull it up stairs.

Denis Danatzko January 10th, 2014 05:18 PM

From the photos, I have one of the same carts shown by Ervin.

I don't recall where I bought it, (I want to say Staples, about 7 yrs ago), but I do recall It was classified as a luggage cart and, I think, capable of loads up to about 85 lbs. but not sure of that.

I use it when I need only a minimum of equipment, but even then, the most difficult task I've found is securing a tripod to it. I've used multiple bungees, but no matter what I've done, so far I haven't been satisfied with attaching a tripod & bag to it.

One thing about it that bothers me is having to go up/down curbs or stairs. If you look low at the rear, i.e. the side from where you'd be walking & pulling it from, there are angled braces near the wheels that jut out in the opposite direction from the "platform" or foot. Over time, I've found that those braces have begun to wear from scraping as the cart is dragged up or lowered on stairs or curbs. Being soft aluminum, they can wear pretty fast. On stairs, I must be particularly careful if they are wood, as those angled braces could mar both the treads and the risers. In those instances, I'll simply lift the entire cart rather than let it damage the stairs.

Working primarily as an OMB, a frequent problem for me when lugging extra equipment is getting a tripod & bag through a revolving door. I'd like to find a cart that is essentially a lightweight, collapsible cage with 4 wheels, (kind of like a typical shopping cart but stood on end), that is slightly less wide than the width of a typical door, i.e. one in which I could have a tripod/bag stand upright and still fit 1 or 2 cases. Haven't found one yet. (With the right wheels and handle, in a pinch it might also serve as a camera dolly).