DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Virtual beach view video wall (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/521036-virtual-beach-view-video-wall.html)

Jody Arnott January 12th, 2014 11:40 PM

Virtual beach view video wall

I'm currently helping a friend with an interesting project. Basically, we plan to mount a camera (probably a GoPro 3 in 4k mode) to the roof of his house, pointed at the beach across the road. A 5.8GHz A/V transmitter will take the feed to a processor box (multi display monitor | multi monitor | trading computers - eXtreme4s 2X—2 Video Wall Controller), which will split the video up into 4x feeds so it stretches across the 4 displays. 4x 50" displays will be mounted on his garage wall. So in theory, he will have a virtual real-time beach view beside his patio... in theory.

Anyways, a couple of questions:

Firstly, can a GoPro be run 24/7 without burning out and dying? They tend to get pretty hot. If not, could anyone recommend another camera which might be suitable for 24/7 use?

Secondly, the box that splits the video feed is rather expensive ($1500+ from what I can see). Is there any other way to split a video feed onto multiple displays?

Thanks for any tips on this crazy idea :)

Stephen Brenner January 13th, 2014 10:15 AM

Re: Virtual beach view video wall

I would think that using 4 gopros would give you higher resolution and end up cheaper.
Only problem would be making it seamless across the displays, but that is sort of problematic
with 4 displays anyway (since it's not one continuous screen).

Chris Soucy January 13th, 2014 03:06 PM

Hi, Jody...............

A couple of questions.

1. Exactly where on the globe does this friend reside, Hamilton having no beach?

2. Wouldn't it be a more useful/ cost effective/ realistic long term solution to remodel the house to put (a)/the patio on the roof?

CS

Jody Arnott January 13th, 2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1827643)
Hi, Jody...............

A couple of questions.

1. Exactly where on the globe does this friend reside, Hamilton having no beach?

2. Wouldn't it be a more useful/ cost effective/ realistic long term solution to remodel the house to put (a)/the patio on the roof?

CS

1. Cooks Beach, on the Coromandel Peninsula

2. He wants to do this, he's got the money, I'm happy to help him achieve it :) I think it's a brilliant idea. Something a bit different. The virtual view won't be the only use of the setup, it will stream movies and DVDs from a computer and act as a general outdoor theatre system also.

I considered a projector setup as a more cost effective solution, but it will be useless during the day unfortunately.

Wayne Dear January 13th, 2014 08:28 PM

Go Pro 4k filming is only 15fps, I would not recommend that, the 2.7k though films at 24fps or 30fps

But imo, full HD looks great.

No idea on the 24 hour running, I would guess it would have issues, as its designed for short action clips

Jody Arnott January 13th, 2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Dear (Post 1827672)
Go Pro 4k filming is only 15fps, I would not recommend that, the 2.7k though films at 24fps or 30fps

But imo, full HD looks great.

No idea on the 24 hour running, I would guess it would have issues, as its designed for short action clips

I know 4k is only 15fps (well, 12 in PAL land), but as it's just a super wide shot of a beach with no fast motion, would it really matter?