DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   dodgy emails (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/521192-dodgy-emails.html)

Paul Mailath January 22nd, 2014 01:36 AM

dodgy emails

I don't know how many you guys get but some of them are pretty good - If I was tired and not paying much attention this would easily slip through

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera Order ***link removed by moderator pending further review***
17:53 (1 minute ago)

to sales
I tried calling you, but couldn't reach you, Please find below swift
copy of payment made today,

Payment slip can be found below as Requested

***link removed by moderator pending further review***

Best Regards.

SMITH JACK
Accountant Officer
Tel.: +974- 44438300 / 44438200
Fax :+974 - 44419910
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the actual link address is .. of course you're no silly enough to click it but ... Don't click it!!

***link removed by moderator pending further review***

I find some of the bank ones here in Aust are particularly sophisticated, logo's, a lot of attention to detail. A recent new item said that 7 million a month was being scammed out of Australia - I'm sure that's peanuts compared to the UK & US but boy - someone's making a killing!

Noa Put January 22nd, 2014 05:11 AM

Re: dodgy emails

You better remove those links, they might be harmfull and open a door to any junk getting onto your pc.

Dave Blackhurst January 22nd, 2014 11:35 AM

And run an antivirus/malware screen.... if you don't have anything running and current (Microsoft security essentials is free for Windows, and doesn't slow down your computer like many others do).

Often these sites not only hope to con you into revealing financial info, but they can also install malicious code onto your machine when you view them... keyloggers, spyware, etc. etc.

Better to NEVER even click on links unless you're 100% certain they are legit, and even then there is some risk a server has been hacked and compromised....

Pete Bauer January 22nd, 2014 12:19 PM

To be safe, I've removed these "dodgy" links for now.

There are tricks and spams and malware everywhere on the internet. I don't see the value in replicating suspicious links here at DV Info Net. Discussion, if it is pertinent to DV Info Net's readership, is welcome but let's leave it at that.

Chris Hurd January 22nd, 2014 02:33 PM

Sorry Paul, we can't publish malware links on the site even with a warning to not click on them. Thanks in advance for understanding.

Paul Mailath January 23rd, 2014 02:15 AM

no problem - I thought about changing a few of the characters on the link but who know where it would have gone..

My point was simply that we have to be increasing alert - these guys were targeting me because I buy camera equip - it's a sophisticated approach,

Dave Blackhurst January 23rd, 2014 02:06 PM

With the vast amount of information out there and the trail of breadcrumbs (cookies) that are typically left behind by "browsing", smart hackers have a lot of options to choose from... many potential security "holes" for a creative hacker with ill intent. Clicking on links can take you to places where you are very exposed, very quickly. The web has some bad places and bad operators...

Plus there is a certain "random element" where sending 1000 phishing emails will likely hit at least a "few" valid account holders that fit a profile (a particular bank customer, someone who is interested in cameras, someone who ships a lot of stuff or has a lot of stuff shipped to them... you get the idea). I get a lot of those sorts of emails, sometimes they even fit a profile of something I'm currently dealing with... it's random chance, AKA coincidental, but it does make one paranoid <wink>!

Social hacking is often just tossing a line out, and seeing who bites... so don't be a dumb fish, don't "bite" when strange stuff shows up in your inbox, and stick to sites you know and trust... and even those CAN be hacked sometimes, so it's wise to have some form of defensive software on your computer too!

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials seem to work fairly well with minimal impact on machine speed, and are free to get and update... unlike some AV programs which are almost as bad as a virus!