DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   FCPX filing systems for development of a video library for a large organisation? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/521274-fcpx-filing-systems-development-video-library-large-organisation.html)

Peter Dunphy January 26th, 2014 02:49 PM

FCPX filing systems for development of a video library for a large organisation?

Hi Guys

Could anyone recommend any links to articles about various Mac Final Cut Pro X filing systems for development of a video library for a large organisation(different departments and sub-departments)?

Found this so far http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/d...Management.pdf

Larry Jordan - FCP X: Manage Events and Projects | Final Cut Pro Training & Classes

All suggestions welcomed!

Warm regards

Bill Davis January 27th, 2014 05:03 PM

Re: FCPX filing systems for development of a video library for a large organisation?

You've got to better define your workflow before you can nail this down.

What do you want to keep in your "library" Whole Projects? Clips? Defined 'shots'? Audio Assets? Still images?

Next, who needs to use them? One editor in a room? Ten editors in a room? Dozens of editors across a multi-building facility?

And how do these groups work? Do they need access to all the assets all the time? Or do the editors just need to work on one projects assets as a time.

And over what type of network? Are you on a LAN? Fibre Channel?

There are all sorts of tools out there from simple digital asset managers like CAT-DV, to distributed network system like Contemo Portal. But any or all of these might be like killing a fly with a shotgun. Or might not. It all depends on the size and scope of your operation and how much money you have to toss at the problem.

FWIW.

Derek Heeps January 28th, 2014 05:45 AM

Re: FCPX filing systems for development of a video library for a large organisation?

All of the above comments are valid .

I wonder if Adobe Lightroom might work as an archival tool since it can deal with video as well as still images ?

For myself , I just use structured and named folders , but I am the only user of my own stuff .

If you need a keyword based , searchable database , you may need a proprietary solution .

Jim Andrada January 30th, 2014 12:32 PM

Stumbled across this a couple of days ago. Don't really know much about it yet but might be something to look at. Can't recommend for or against it personally at this point

axle - Radically simple media management

Peter Dunphy February 2nd, 2014 02:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. Will give this some thought!

Kathy Smith February 23rd, 2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1829892)
Stumbled across this a couple of days ago. Don't really know much about it yet but might be something to look at. Can't recommend for or against it personally at this point

axle - Radically simple media management

I'm using Axle and love it.

John Nantz February 23rd, 2014 02:44 PM

One thought is not only how to store and access the files, but also how to keep them secure. How important are the files - if they were "lost" or somehow destroyed, how much harm would this cause the company? If they are really important then there should be a back-up for them, maybe a continuous backup. This is beginning to sound like a job for an IT person.

As for how to find files - a database is a good idea. For the interim one can use small text files that are populated with key words and saved in the appropriate folders. The creator of the video/document/picture files would be tasked with entering the key words that would be used for search purposes until someone is on board or contracted to sort out how to make a database work.

Mac-friendly RAID systems are available at Synology Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS) and a company like them, and there are others, should be able to help with this kind of problem.

Brian Drysdale February 23rd, 2014 05:29 PM

I don't know if it meets your needs, but Editshare make these: Storage Options - EditShare

Peter Dunphy February 24th, 2014 11:00 AM

Great info, thanks guys :o)