3 person interview - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: 3 person interview

Kathy,
I was just watching a well known network news anchor doing an interview with a well known actor in the same configuration that your going to use. 2 chairs across from each other, 2...I say again, 2 - Flouresent lights. One lighting up each of the people and a 3rd light looked like a lite-panel by the master camera just to open up some shadows.
3 cameras One going to each person and one as a master shot. It looked great.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:23 AM   #17
Major Player

don,
nice and simple. The on-camera lights are useful like you said to "ease" the shadows but the two lights will give a flat lighting if let alone: that setup (it's a classic actually) only works when the background is not important, black , street or city life happening in the back (outdoor and daylight) or there is a screen rolling. There is no better way to light from the above, each talent (in my opinion) . I know it's old fashion :) things are changing fast also with the lighting (lately).
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi All,

No, I have not shot this yet. That's happening in about a week and a half. Don, any way you can tell me what interview you watched?
BTW, I am using 2 kino divas 401. I do have access to additional light now, ARRI (but I am not crazy about these and I don't know how to match them with my divas). I am actually thinking that I would like the lighting to look natural. I am going to shoot this in a big open space where there will be activity such as people working at their desks and people walking around in the same space behind my subjects. This is by choice.
Jay asked about my audio plan. For audio am going to mic both subjects directly to my camera (C100)win an XLR cable. I am sung Sanken COS-D mics.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Kathy,
The interview was Dan Rather and Edward Norton. 3 cameras and it appeared to be 3 lights. It looked to my eye anyway, to be a nicely lit and nicely framed out interview. The interview is one of a series by Rather being shown on AXSTv which is owned by Mark Cuban. Mostly music (concerts of some really good bands) but it also shows movies and now is doing these interviews.

You can most certainly use the Divas and the Arri together but if you're looking for a more natural look to the lighting then perhaps use the Arri as a center fill and the Divas cross lighting the subjects. The Arri can be bounced off a foamcore sheet to soften up the fill but you need to watch out for spill. If you're not comfortable mixing the lights then don't.

Last edited by Don Bloom; March 5th, 2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: to add information about lights
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Trustee

Hey Kathy,
Your Diva 401's are a good start. I have a Diva 200 Kit with 2 Diva 200's and a couple of Diva 400's as well if you want to go all Kino Flo. You might want to have a mixer (I have those as well) in between your mics so you can control levels more easily than the on camera controls. Local NYC
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion