DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Photographer forgot $7000 worth of equipment on bullet train (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/522029-photographer-forgot-7000-worth-equipment-bullet-train.html)

Warren Kawamoto March 4th, 2014 05:20 PM

Photographer forgot $7000 worth of equipment on bullet train

... and got everything back!
Photog Loses $7,000 of Gear On Japanese Bullet Train, Gets Every Bit of It Back

Jim Andrada March 4th, 2014 10:24 PM

Re: Photographer forgot $7000 worth of equipment on bullet train

As usual! In over 100 trips to Japan, including living there for six years, only once did anything fail to return. Outside of some sleazy (but interesting) adult entertainment areas outside some major stations you don't need to worry about anything being stolen. After we moved to the US I had to train my wife to not leave her purse on a restaurant table when going to the restroom while dining alone.

A single homicide anywhere in the country is national news, unlike the US where there probably wouldn't be enough air time in a day to read the names of victims.

Warren Kawamoto March 4th, 2014 11:26 PM

I'll admit that over the past 2 decades, I've forgotten my $5000 Sachtler tripod in churches, reception halls, and other locations in Hawaii. Thankfully, I've always gotten it back! Same goes for my wireless mic transmitter.... Oddly, the one thing that did walk away was my dinner jacket at a wedding reception. It had my name embroidered inside, but somebody from the hotel staff took it before the guests arrived.

Bruce Watson March 5th, 2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1835079)

The Japanese are scrupulously honest this way. We in the U. S. have much we could learn from the Japanese. Not that we will.

Steven Digges March 5th, 2014 11:24 AM

I found a pro photogs complete Nikon kit in a resort parking lot. I mean complete, two body's, big lens selection, portable lighting ect. It was all in a big roller case in the parking lot. Someone had obviously had it next to a vehicle and drove off without loading it.

When I opened it (no labels on outside at all) and saw what was in it I could not believe it. I had seen the photographer working in the ballroom an hour before that so I knew whose it was and who she worked for. I called their office and told them I was leaving the case at security. I know her and her boss on a professional level. They both know my name. Neither one of them ever bothered to pick up a phone and say thank you.

Returning it or not was never a question in my mind. But I was surprised by the number of crew members on that gig that thought I was crazy and openly admitted they would have kept it. Inside the bag there were plenty of her business cards. If you kept it it you knew exactly who you would have been steeling it from.

I sleep well at night.

Steve

Bruce Watson March 7th, 2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Digges (Post 1835217)
I sleep well at night.

My favorite was returning a $20 bill to a cashier at a bank. She counted the money twice, then handed it to me. I counted it, and got a different total. Then we both counted it again and got my total. The difference was a new crisp/sticky $20 bill.

The cashier was amazed that I'd been honest and returned the overage. She wanted to know why I hadn't just kept it. I told her it wasn't mine and it was the right thing to do, and that it would have made her miserable at the end of the day when reconciling the cash drawer. She asked "why would you care?" to which I replied "how could I not care?"

I too value my sleep.

Josh Bass March 8th, 2014 07:43 AM

Who's gonna help me move to Japan? We'll have to take the futon apart to get it out the door.