DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   please help guys...lanc cable! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/523350-please-help-guys-lanc-cable.html)

Tim Carter May 21st, 2014 01:28 AM

please help guys...lanc cable!

Hey guys....first post here, though ive been looking on here for a while now!

Ok, so I have a sony handycam dcr-sr90 which I will be using on top of a ten metre camera mast to film events etc. The camcorder has a d shaped 10 pin sony av out port, and I want to use that port for av out to an external screen. I also want to use the same port for a remote control so i can zoom in and out etc.

The remotes I can use are these:

This one has a lanc cable...

digitalmediastore: Sony compatible RM-VD1 Remote Control Cord

this one has a d shaped 10 pin....

digitalmediastore: Sony compatible RM-AV2 Remote Control Cord

So my question is, can I get or make up a cable that will accomodate both the lanc attachment and a video out for the external screen?

I already bought one of these, and this might be the simple solution:

Audio Video AV Cable for Sony DCR-SR70E, DCR-SR72E | eBay

....it has everything I want on it, except the s-video is no use to me. Is there any way of changing the s-video connector for a female lanc connector at all? and is it just a 2.5mm jack wired up in a certain way? If this is possible it would solve my problem!

I have seen a few other options, but most seem very expensive and are coming from china and wouldnt be here for at least a month. I am based in the UK.

I hope someone can help with this!

Is there anyone on here that could possibly make up an appropriate cable at all?

THe ideal would be a d shaped sony on one end, and a female lanc connector on the other end, as well as a video out connector?

Cheers for any help and advice guys.

James Manford May 21st, 2014 01:30 AM

Re: please help guys...lanc cable!

You probably can change that end. But you would need to make sure the wires are correctly connected again and that doesn't necessarily mean matching the colours on the cable.

You'll have to use a multi-meter.

Mark Watson May 21st, 2014 02:32 AM

Check this site.
Sony LANC Adapter Cable - AV/R Pro LANC 10 pin Adapter Cable 2.5 mm to D connector Video Audio

Mark

Tim Carter May 21st, 2014 03:16 AM

hey guys...thanks for reply...ive seen the ready made ones from the states, but I would love to go for the home made option...or have someone in the uk make it up for me...more to do with time as anything!

so heres a possible plan...if I bought a 5 metre extension cable from here :

Cameragrip | Extension Cables & Adaptors

and cut the male connector off it...would I be able to also then cut the s-video connector off the cable that I already have, and join the two sets of wires together - avoiding the need for and other connectors, and solving the problem?

So whilst writing this I have cut the s - video connector off my own wire and taken a picture! So my question now is, I have three wires - green, black and brown. If I buy a 5 metre lanc extension cable will I be able to cut the male connector off it and connect the wires together to join the two?

Would anyone know what the wires would be on the lanc extension, and what I might need to do to connect them?

Cheers guys, pic below!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...pse0d27204.jpg

Dave Blackhurst May 21st, 2014 02:08 PM

OK Tim -

Deep breath... relax, if you are a "DIY'er" all you'll need is the pinout, and it's online and I have a diagram I made myself.

There are 10 pins on the "D" connector, 3 are the LANC, there's a "trigger" pin that needs a simple resistor to ground to let the camera know to expect the LANC, the rest of the pins are audio and video I/O.

You can pick up any cable that has the "D" end, sort out the various connectors, and either solder extension cables, or whatever connectors you prefer. You'll likely use the 2.5mm LANC for simplicity (the VD1 rather than the AV2),

<EDIT> looks like you already hacked the cable, and the 3 leads you've got aren't the ones you'll need.... the R/W/Y are correct, and take 3 of the pins + ground... the Svid is an additional set of 2-3 pins IIRC, and the LANC is 3 OTHER pins + ground
I dug around and found SOME of my notes...

Pin # Function
1 Audio LEFT in/out
2 LANC Signal (tip of 2.5mm plug)
3 Ground
4 LANC Ring (ring of 2.5mm Plug)
5 S-Vid C I/O (chrominance)
6 Audio RIGHT in/out
7 Jack A/D (signals camera to expect the LANC! 100K resistor to ground)
8 N/C—can be grounded
9 Composite Video I/O (Out only! No ―In‖ on HD cams)
10 SVID I/O (luminance)

Looking back, I see I ended up stripping the molding off the plug to get a "clean" plug... not pretty, but... can't recall if that was because all pins didn't have leads or what!?

<END EDIT>

I've got an AV2 cracked open (another DIY hack "project"), and I don't think the cable has the full 10 leads, I see 4 connected to the control board (see above, LANC+trigger). SO it might not work too well, lacking the other leads you NEED.

There's a Sony (or Chinese knockoff) that has the "D" plug, and A/V (composite and R/L audio), that's probably the cheapest option to get a donor cable. I don't remember the part # offhand... BUT it already has your A/V, you'd just need to tap into the leads for the LANC. Then get additional extensions as needed.

If a "google" doesn't turn up the pinout online (it should) shout back at me and I'll try to find my file of notes - I just built a new machine, and part of the "construction" is to review and consolidate 15-20 years of files... right now it's still being "reorganized"!

I'm pretty sure the configuration you need will be doable, and if you have a soldering iron and some chops, shouldn't take long!