DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Backpack enough for both camcorder and pro body dslr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/523410-backpack-enough-both-camcorder-pro-body-dslr.html)

Petter Flink May 24th, 2014 10:10 PM

Backpack enough for both camcorder and pro body dslr

I have several bags and backpacks for different gear and situations but I'm out of ideas for this.

I'm off for a vacation this summer and would like a backpack that handles both a pro body Nikon and my video camera but it need to fit within the carry on baggage size rules.

It need to handle the following:

Nikon pro body DSLR with either an attached 14-24/2.8 or a 24-70/2.8 lens.
Camcorder JVC HM150 with a wa-lens and hood.
Some spare batteries, a couple of shorter shotgun mice, some ND-filters, mem cards etc.
Size about 55 x 40 x 23 cm (22x16x9 inches)

If it have som attachments for mono/tripod, a bottle, rain cover it would be great.
If it can do a 15 MacBook Pro it would be nice but it's not required.
I know Kata had some backpacks a few years ago with a fast reach opening which is a nice idea. Though the bags themselves was not the best looking they did protect the equipment.

Is this doable you think?

John Nantz May 24th, 2014 11:38 PM

Re: Backpack enough for both camcorder and pro body dslr

Peter - for traveling I've been using two bags, one a "carry on" for the overhead compartment and the other a "purse/computer bag" (women get to have a purse so us guys get equal treatment, right? (okay, if we think so).

For the computer bag I'm using one from Skooba Design ? Best Laptop Bags & Laptop Cases, Women?s Laptop Bags, Computer Messenger Bags and it has worked out very well. The computer bag is supposed to fit under the seat in front of you (on the airplane) but, unfortunately, it seems that under seat space is often already taken with some aircraft gizmo. Nevertheless, the bag is allowed.

The model I have is an earlier version of this one: Checkthrough® Security Brief, Standard
While they say the bag is "checkthrough", meaning the computer doesn't have to be taken out, don't believe it. Every screening station I've been to asks to have the computer taken out. They're in a hurry and so is everybody behind you so out it comes.

As for all the cameras and delicate items like mics, lavalier, etc., I make custom bubble-wrap bags for each item.

For the monopod, I take the head off (wrap it in bubble wrap), and the stick goes diagonally in the checked luggage.

If it's possible to fit everything into just the carry-on bag then that works even better. The one I use is a convertible backpack so the straps are stowed inside for airline travel.

One editorial comment about traveling with stuff: "Less is more".
Try telling that to your significant other though.

Jon Fairhurst May 25th, 2014 02:16 PM

Re: Backpack enough for both camcorder and pro body dslr

This is my carry on bag:

Lowepro Fastpack 250
http://store.lowepro.com/fastpack-250

It fits (barely) under the seat and can carry a DSLR, a number of lenses and such, a laptop, and has side access, so you can get the camera while standing. I really like this solution for filmmaking on the road solo as I can keep all of my gear on my back and don't have to worry about setting something down, out of sight.

It also has a flap that protects the lower area and you can put a small lock through the loops to keep people from easily fleecing you while standing behind you in a line. There's a pocket there that is perfect for a passport.

Unlike the bags that have camera and lens sections from top to bottom, this has a general area on top that can hold handheld rig parts, books, a windbreaker jacket, or whatever.

FWIW, I used a black, permanent marker to color over the Lowepro logo. Nothing against the company, but I prefer that it looks like a generic, black backpack rather than a bag from a camera case maker.

I'd buy this bag again. It's exactly right for carrying a medium-sized DLSR setup on an airliner for solo shooting on the road.