Keyboard and Mouse for better ergonomics and productivity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Keyboard and Mouse for better ergonomics and productivity

Keyboard and Mouse for better ergonomics and productivity

I'm looking into different keyboards, mice, and other tools for better ergonomics and productivity.

Currently I'm using the full size mac keyboard and mighty mouse. The mighty mouse has to go,
I need something bigger for my hand.

Maybe a trackball instead.
Amazon.com: Kensington Expert Mouse Optical USB Trackball for PC or Mac 64325: Electronics

A vertical mouse
Amazon.com: Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 "Regular Size" Right Hand (model # VM4R) - USB Wired: Electronics

Or a gaming mouse with programmable buttons.
Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700: Electronics

Not mice but might help with productivity.

Heard a couple of editors rave about gaming pads
The One-Handed Samurai ? Tobias Beul

Shuttle pro
Amazon.com: CONTOUR DESIGN ShuttlePRO V.2: Electronics

Keyboard

I don't like how it's NLE specific but the jog.shuttle wheel is cool.
Bella Professional Series 3.0 Keyboard for Adobe Premiere 5201C

Gaming keyboard with programmable buttons
Amazon.com: Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard (Black/Silver): Electronics

Any thoughts on the above or recommendations would be appreciated.
I don't do too much graphic work so I haven't really looked at a tablet option.
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Keyboard and Mouse for better ergonomics and productivity

There are not so many choices for keyboards. The split keyboards like the Microsoft Natural KB claim better ergonomics, and perhaps they are, I've never used one.

Mouses though... I've had my adventures. The truth is that any repetitive motion will eventually give you trouble. My first mouse substitute was a thumb trackball. That was good for a couple years, then some issues with the joints in my thumb. I expect this for any substitute input device.

I've tried the Shuttlepro and graphics tablets and various trackballs - all were good, except the tab had more limited use for me (some make it work for everything).

The ergo people say vary your position and methods; that's the real long-term key.

For me, the solution is in three parts:

1) Learn to mouse left-handed. (I'm a righty) Doing this at home has let me use right mice at work/school - variation of position! I leave the moust set up for right-hand buttons. This wasn't as challenging as it sounds!

2) Learn and use all keyboard shortcuts, and stop mousing so durn much. I have become a master of J-K-L-I-O editing, and it has been a huge contributor to hand health... and speed! For some styles of editing I'm also able to use KB shortcuts to move focus to the timeline from the source monitor and back again. Different NLEs have more or fewer limitations for this, but all I've run into can handle JKLIO.

3) Use specialty input devices like Shuttle and Graphics Tablet for speciality projects that call for a lot of this or that. You bet the tablet comes out for masking, and the shuttle can be really good not only for transport control, but also for adjusting sliders.

I've been working a lot of years. These methods seem like they will work for me for a lot more years!

PS. Do also read up on seating, kb/worksurface height, and monitor height. They all contribute to hand health.

PPS. Oh, I also have wrist rests for my mouse and KB on my main NLE station... and the built in rest on the laptop works well.

PPPS. I really like the trackpad on my laptop, and someday I'll buy one to try on the desktop. Imprecise, but easy and non-stressful. Multiple input methods so you can vary are best!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The most powerful controller for a NLE is thought to be the Lightworks console.https://www.lwks.com/components/com_...22708b3c29.jpg

The lightworks NLE is designed for to work using this, although it works well with a number of other third party controllers and just with a mouse and keyboard. Editors love this particular controller because it allows them to edit without taking their eyes off the screen. However, tt doesn't work with other NLE's and has a professional level price tag, although they seem to last for 20 years or more.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
Currently I'm using the full size mac keyboard and mighty mouse. The mighty mouse has to go,
I need something bigger for my hand.
Amen on the small mighty mouse size. I got one with my keyboard but it's too small. Went to a Logitech M510 wireless that uses the little USB thingy. It also has a little bit of heft so that helps too, and there is a circuit that really helps with battery life and that part I'd consider is a must-have.

As for Seth's comments - sounds like the voice of experience. Just tried using my mouse in my left hand and almost had a car wreck!

Seating: Consider stand-up with a stool. Kinda hard with a standard desk, though.

Voice actuation: Wonder if there anything out there where one can control some actions using voice controls? That'd be neat.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have used a pen and tablet for years. I don't know that it helps productivity. You have to grab the pen and it's not effective for hitting the same point repeatedly. (You can leave a mouse in the same position and click away; the pen always moves.)

The main advantage is that you don't twist your forearm when holding a pen. Spending hour after hour drawing schematics with a mouse in my 30s damaged my wrist and going to the pen really helped.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Best mouse I've found for my Mac / FCP setup is a Logitech Performance MX - 7 buttons, 2 types of scroll plus side scroll and larger than a normal mouse. I've programmed 4 buttons for the most common functions I use in FCP and used in conjunction with a Contour Shuttle Pro.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Funny thing today I was speaking to my health and safety advisor about something else. I happend to mention that I use a mouse rest. She actually told me they are not as good as you would think as when you are using them your wrist is twisted in a downward fashion putting more strain on your wrist.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Found that out the hard way, so I cut a second mat to fit into the back of the first and my elbow is now also supported on a gel pad - that sorted the problem!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I suppose it depends on what wrist rest you're using... mine is very low, perhaps a half inch above the work surface. And, as Dave pointed out, the height of your elbow very much figures into this too.

Just to clarify my previous post, this journey for me has been mostly about responding to repetitive motion injuries. It isn't clear that the O.P. was experiencing that.

I highly recommend avoiding repetitive motion injury. The recovery is damn slow; we're typically talking months. I'm happy to now be an ambi-mouser, this provides instant relief and variation, even if I don't have the other tools handy.

It's really keyboard editing that has sped up my workflow...
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

I had some serious pain issues with my mouse hand so I started looking for solutions. I switched over to the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4, I swear by it, if you are spending hours editing it's a must have. The mouse also comes with software to bind actions to buttons, I've set mine up so that I can execute my most used functions via the mouse, keeps my hands off the keyboard.

Evoluent VerticalMouse, Vertical Mouse, ergonomic mouse, ergonomic computer mouse, computer mouse, optical mouse, carpal tunnel syndrome, repetitive stress disorder, RSI
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion