TV Show Outro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Major Player

TV Show Outro

Our church broadcasts our services live online and produces a bi-weekly TV show and have been for a few years now. We shoot everything in SD and are now switching over to HD and I have been asked to redo our outro for the TV show and the online broadcast. The one we currently use is posted below and I was thinking of doing something similar but just making all the footage HD. I have already filmed the Pastor for his part and am currently accumulating footage to fill in the rest of the video.

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on what we could do differently or any overall advice on this little project. I obviously want it to be good as its going to be used at least 5 times a week for a long time.

If you hate that format, let me know. If you love it, but have suggestions, let me know that as well. I just want to make this as good as possible. Thanks!

EDIT: The actual outro starts when the pastor starts speaking. That little intro was made by our media team for some reason and I'm not sure why. It's terrible

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: TV Show Outro

The concept of the pastor's invitation, followed by a collage set to music seems appropriate.

In the existing outro...

Music is much too hot relative to dialog. This should be mixed to the ear, not to volume meters, to approximately equal perceived loudness. The pastor's invitation can also be punched up a little bit with EQ and compression.

The one-word text overlays seem disjointed. Nothing wrong with using them to reinforce messaging, but they're not cohering too well. I'd look at a more comprehensive graphic design that ties them together, rather than throwing them on top.

Other text messaging also seems a bit scrambled. Leave the viewer with the info they need if they are to take action. The closing title is very important, and should include all ways that they could be involved, including the address, other contact info. What does "tune in" mean? Without a way to do so I'm confused by the schedule info.

Some of the camera moves seem unmotivated. Camera movement for the sake of camera movement misses the mark, IMO. Move the camera to reveal something, or, sometimes, to establish a POV. Design every shot to do something!
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm wondering, is "outro" short for "outroduction"? :)
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Haha! Good question!
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Major Player

I think its pretty good, obviously a lil compressed & low res (plus SD). Anyway one shot which I think would work is either from the front of the venue, with the pastor speaking to a large crowd, or from the back of the venue (balcony?) with the crowd in attendance and pastor at the front. Might give a powerful, overwhelming impression of the church.

Of course, myb your limited by the fact its usually a small crowd in attendence, I dunno. If so maybe an aisle shot while the pastor is speaking (staged), possibly sliding or glidecamming up.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Trustee

I would just make sure that your titles are still SD safe for the viewers at home still using SD TVs.
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Reminded me of other services I have seen where everyone on stage (as many as they could fit) had a microphone with a brightly coloured foam wind shield. It was quite the trend some years ago.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I would just make sure that your titles are still SD safe for the viewers at home still using SD TVs.
How do I make sure of that?
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Major Player

1. They Pastor is in a Suit-and-tie, but yet he starts his sentence with, "Hey". Seems a little informal to me. The setting dictates something like, "Greetings" or Hello, etc.

2. I'm trying to look at this as a potential parishioner, so the question I am asking myself as I watch it is: "Would I fit in here" The clip is a little heavy on the choir members, and not so many parishioners. I'd like to see a wide shot looking out over the seating, so I can say to myself, "Yes. I could sit right there.

3. Does the Church have any Social Media presence? Twitter? Facebook?

4. Does the Church have any Social Acitvites? Annual BBQ, etc.

5. Does the Church have Children activities?

6. While I am familiar with what Apostolic means, but the Pastor sounds a little hesitant when he says, "We're not intimidated to worship the Lord". The way he is shaking his head, makes him look a little defensive.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #10
Major Player

2 - I can easily include a wide shot of the church, but we often have a lot of empty seats. Is that OK? I don't want it to seem like a church that's shrinking or that we don't have a lot of members cause it's a bad church. Will it give off that impression?

3 - You suggest including our Twitter handle and Facebook on the last shot?

That's a great suggestion to include shots of things other than church. I guess the idea is to get people to want to come to our church instead of continuing to watch it on TV or online. I have tons of photos of events we have had at our church but little footage. I'd have to film all new footage, which isn't bad. I just need to do it.

Great suggestions all around!
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

It's definitely time to shoot some up to date footage, and definitely a good excuse to do so.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Nothing wrong with using good photos as well... motivated "camera" moves can easily be done within editing software these days. Look for tutorials on the Ken Burns effect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion