DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Question about buying lenses on Amazon or Ebay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/524147-question-about-buying-lenses-amazon-ebay.html)

Kajito Nagib July 17th, 2014 01:33 PM

Question about buying lenses on Amazon or Ebay

I never bought a new or used lens or Amazon or Ebay I usually buy my lenses with B&H or Adorama however the lens I want to purchase (Canon 24-70 F/4.0) is listed on B&H for $1499.00 but on Amazon and Ebay it's listed as new for around $930. Even though some of the sellers have a top rated + symbol with great feedback I'm just wondering why the big price difference. I'm not sure if these lenses are defective in anyway. Any idea what's going on here?

Robert Benda July 17th, 2014 01:57 PM

Re: Question about buying lenses on Amazon or Ebay

Taking a look, the $930 price you see is for a used lens, not new. As long as you're OK with that, you're probably fine as long as you follow a few simple rules:

Note that there are many used lenses all about the same price, but from different sellers. That's a good sign. If we saw one WAY lower than everyone else, we'd worry.

The sellers generally have a lot of reviews, which is also good. We avoid new sellers with great bargains.

Never ever contact a seller directly. Sometimes I see Amazon sellers with a note *email me at XXXX before buying*. Those people are trying to rip you off.

And if you're really concerned, order the used one that says "fulfilled by Amazon." It comes directly from their warehouse, so you'll get it sooner, and it's been looked over at least a little by someone.

Kajito Nagib July 17th, 2014 02:12 PM

Is there a 1 year warranty with these lenses?

Robert Benda July 17th, 2014 02:29 PM

I would doubt it, but it would be up to the seller, not Canon, since they're not new.

Kajito Nagib July 17th, 2014 02:46 PM

I just noticed on Amazon some sellers have a 3 year warranty. Thanks again!

Jim Michael July 17th, 2014 03:39 PM

Don't count on that store being there in 3 years to make the warranty good unless it has a long track record. It's pretty easy to create a business entity, make a bunch of shady deals, and then kill the entity before moving operations to a new store.

Kajito Nagib July 18th, 2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Michael (Post 1855497)
Don't count on that store being there in 3 years to make the warranty good

Indeed! I will probably purchase the lens with Ebay since they have buyers protection don't know about Amazon the only thing I've ever purchase with them is books.

James Manford July 18th, 2014 10:12 AM

Buy used and then buy insurance for your gear ... then you're covered!