DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Looking for a new Video Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/524190-looking-new-video-camera.html)

Glen Pinno July 20th, 2014 06:56 AM

Looking for a new Video Camera

Hi everyone, currently been using a Panasonic SDT750 shooting 1080/50p avchd with a Rode Videomic Pro attached.

This has been an absolutely awesome camera for the past 2 years, shooting hundreds of family videos and travel related videos, and the Auto Focus and Image Stabilization systems have been fantastic, given i shoot all my video in hand held (roaming) mode with the camera's mounted on one of my custom made hand held rigs or monopods.

Time has come to move on to a better camera, and possibly move onto a better format than avchd, but i don't want to spend more than $3k if i can help it.

Because i shoot in roaming mode, i want to try and stick with shooting 50p or 60p video, 25p just doesnt cut it with the way i shoot my video, and i need good built in Auto Focus and Image Stabilization systems as well, which basically means i may have to stick to a more traditional type of camera (which i prefer) and not have to move to one of those chunky DSLR type interchangeable lens camera's so many people are using.

4k is not a priority, but i would be happy to get another 1080p camera that just offers me better image quality than i get with my current camera.

I have been reading a lot of stuff recently about the new Panasonic FZ1000 camera, and although it is more a DSLR style camera, having a fixed lens with a 1" sensor and having the pivoting screen, has me re-thinking my options, especially given i do mount my camera on my hand held rigs so ergonomics wont really come into play.

So here i am, new to this forum, and seeking some help/advice/suggestions for a possible replacement, and any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Noa Put July 20th, 2014 07:13 AM

Re: Looking for a new Video Camera

Current new 4K camera's only shoot at 25fps in 4K mode, if you have 3K to spend I'd get a sony ax100 which will give you plenty of control and versatility in a small package, you can also still shoot 1080p 50p with this camera as well.

Glen Pinno July 20th, 2014 10:23 AM

Hi, i looked into that camera, but the FZ1000 just jumped out at me for the price.

Do you know what the Image Stabilization and AF systems are like.

I am also curious what bitrate the 1080/60p XAVC-S shoots at, as i imagine the AVCHD is around 28Mbps.

Also, how beneficial is having the 1" sensor.

Cheers

Noa Put July 20th, 2014 10:56 AM

The sony rx10 is also a camera that comes to mind if you don't need 4K, it outputs an excellent image, it doesn't use a robust codec but that only becomes an issue if you are shooting very high detailed shots with lots of movement, in general it does't notice and the image is just fine. It's also a dslrstyle and fixed lens camera with a decent wide angle, longer reach and constant f2.8 lens and it's geared towards videographers as well (the irisring can be declicked) and it has a build in nd filter like the ax100 has, for me that's as close as it gets when you want video functionality in a dslr body.
I shot this video with the rx10, there are plenty more to find back on vimeo to give you an idea what the camera is capable of.
and this one

Glen Pinno July 20th, 2014 11:13 AM

Hi, i have already looked at the FZ1000 vs RX10 as the top 2 bridge cameras around, and from everything i can see, i prefer the video from the FZ1000 over the RX10, and thats one reason why i never mentioned it before, plus i am still curious about the 4k on the FZ1000 for less money than the sony.

I think i saw in a video that one issue with the FZ1000 is apparently the lens is a bit on the noisy side.

I dislike DSLR style cameras for video, but i would entertain the FZ1000 or maybe the RX10 because they are both fixed lens bridge cameras, and both have a non fixed screen, very important for video, although the RX10 only pivots up and down.

Think i need to do more research.

Cheers

Noa Put July 20th, 2014 11:18 AM

There hardly is any fz1000 videos available, is it the 4K (extra detail) that makes it a better looking video for you or just the look in general? From what I have seen so far from Panasonic the fz1000 seems to have a not great dynamic range.

Dave Blackhurst July 21st, 2014 01:43 AM

It's too early to really know what to expect of the FZ1000, other than you may well get what you pay for... Samples I saw had some rather substantial weaknesses that I've seen in "consumer" Panasonics before. I still am intrigued by the camera, but don't think it will be all that the paper specs make it seem. May well be a generally adequate camera once serious shooters lay hands on it, but again, too early to know.

There will likely be a "RX20" or "RX10M2" not too far in the future, and Sony would be brain dead to NOT add 4K and hopefully a few other improvements. Although they failed in the RX100M3 to add 4K, when it would have been nothing to do so.

That said, much depends on your needs - the RX10 will give you VERY good stills that will be hard to beat, and a very decent video capability - really far more in the "package" once you consider all the features. A nicely balanced camera for many shooting scenarios.

BUT, if video is your primary concern, the AX100 is pretty darn nice, it will shoot stills to some degree. 4K takes a bit of adapting, but there is also a 50Mbps 1080/60p XAVCS option.

With patience you could scoop up slightly used specimens of both of those cameras for under $3K, and have a killer "multicam" package with a lot of shooting versatility. I did, and haven't regretted it a bit...