Super stumped - conversion question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Super stumped - conversion question

Ok, in short. I had to replace my Steadicam Pilot because my new Canon XF300 wouldn't hold it. Unfortunately, the Scout has HD-SDI and my Canon XF300 doesn't. So, I purchased Atomos Connect H2S Converter with 2600mAh Battery ATOMH2S002 B&H to bridge the gap.

When I hooked it all up, I have no signal to the monitor. We originally thought it may be an HDMI setting in the camera, but there aren't any we could find. I ran the HDMI directly to the monitor and it works, so I know the cable works and I know there's a signal going to the monitor.

The Atomos guy and I worked for 30 minutes or so to fix the 'no signal' to the monitor. I changed the hd-sdi cable thinking it was the cable and I still have no signal. Atomos says the XF300 is on the list of compatible cameras. I'm pretty stumped. Atomos is going to send me another unit, but he said that the leds are saying the Atomos is getting the signal. The only other option is the monitor on the steadicam scout.

I'm super stumped.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Super stumped - conversion question

Little bit of an update.

I went to a production house in town and used one of their hdmi-sdi converters. Worked like a charm. Sooooo, I got a loaner from Atomos and it doesn't work/convert either.

Not sure at this point. Just needed a sound board for ideas. Obviously if I can find another monitor and it works, then it must be the steadicam monitor, but I don't have one handy.
Old August 21st, 2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

New update: Today, I went to a video equipment distributor to test the Atomos-monitor compatibility. I don't have another hd-sdi monitor, so they were nice enough to test it with their scope. We connected the xf300 and Atomos converter to a video scope and it worked. We then looped out of the scope into the Steadicam monitor and got no signal on the Steadicam monitor. So the guy helping me suggested it's something with the Atomos converter and the signal to the monitor, or maybe the monitor doesn't like the audio signal coming over the hd-sdi cable. Either way, fingers are pointing at the monitor on the Steadicam as the culprit.

This is pretty crazy.
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

At this point, this might fit better in the Steadicam section.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion