DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting Video: Sony RX10 vs Panasonic FZ1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/524504-shooting-video-sony-rx10-vs-panasonic-fz1000.html)

Matt Thomas August 14th, 2014 01:52 AM

Shooting Video: Sony RX10 vs Panasonic FZ1000

Hi guys,

Which is better for shooting video with the Sony RX10 or the Panasonic FZ1000, was looking to buy a RX10 but wanted to see if the Panasonic FZ1000 would be a better option.

So whats peoples thought on which is the better camera for shooting video? I'm tempted to order both but then I'd have no money left until my next pay day in a month.

I've watched a few reviews of the Sony RX10 and one comparing them both but they don't seem to look to far into the FZ1000 for video.

Thanks

Noa Put August 14th, 2014 02:18 AM

Re: Shooting Video: Sony RX10 vs Panasonic FZ1000

The rx10 comes very close in functionality to a videocamera, it has nd filters, a clickless aperture ring, zebra's, peaking, good onboard sound, a stabilised constant f2.8 quite wide to decent tele lens and other bells and whistles to make shooting video a lot easier.

Matt Thomas August 14th, 2014 02:32 AM

Thanks for your replying, Noa.

Are they the features the Panasonic are lacking?

The built in ND filer, zebras, peaking and constant 2.8 is a plus for me, but which one is better in low light, which has better picture profiles, which has the better video quality (codec wise).

Also, I would get the Ninja Star with either camera, obviously it wouldn't be able to do the 4k from the FZ1000 but I presume I'd still be able to get 1080p out of it.

I've been leaning towards the RX10 because it seems much more capable as a Video Camera, but the extra zoom on the FZ1000 is tempting to.

Noa Put August 14th, 2014 03:07 AM

From what I have read the pana starts from 37mm if you shoot in 4k, that's very limiting if you have to shoot in narrow spaces, I have no idea what features the fz1000 has and I have not seen much videos yet to determine the videoquality, guess you have to wait for more uservideos and experience to come out.

Dave Blackhurst August 14th, 2014 11:09 PM

I think it's a bit early to make the call... and I'd ask whether you are going to multicam (and with what cameras) and whether you have any brand preference or existing accessories...

Is 4K important? If it is, Sony hopefully will be stepping up in the RX series (or maybe not, the RX100M3 left it out), otherwise the FZ has an "advantage" at least in theory.

I looked carefully at the FZ1000 sample videos, the stills just didn't pop to my eye, and the shadows fell apart ungracefully... but that's online compressed video, so while it was what I'd expect from past Panasonic experience, it could be better in real life use... or not.

I like my RX10 a lot, it's pretty solid as an "all round" camera, and fits with the AX100 and RX100m2 as a part of a nice "large sensor" multicam "system".

In my book it's all about the image quality, not the specs. I tried the FZ200 on specs and recommendations, didn't do a thing for me other than making me hungry for a constant f/2.8 lens, which of course came when Sony announced the RX10 shortly thereafter.

I'm faintly tempted to check out the FZ1000, but I already know the "look" wouldn't mix as well with my other cams as what I've got now.

If video is the primary consideration, the AX100 should be at least given a look... more money, but a very fine video camera for many uses.

Bruce Dempsey August 15th, 2014 02:13 AM

No zoom controller on the tripod handle for the fz1000 other than a phone app so mine was returned same day and luckily I found an ax100 at a sweet price :)
I'm sure the 4K on the panny is great but could not get by the lack of a Lanc-like solution

Matt Thomas August 15th, 2014 03:08 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll go for the RX10 as I want to take photos as well so not considering the AX100. I think it'd be best to go with RX10 as I plan on getting one of the Sony A7 series in the future as well, so it would match up better.

Dave Blackhurst August 15th, 2014 05:18 PM

Keep in mind the AX100 will shoot stills... and uses the same sensor as the RX10. I forgot about that when I first got the AX, but wouldn't be afraid to use it for stills after experimenting with it - the stills look good, comparable to what the RX can do, not your typical "handycam secondary function stills". You can even mount a flash with the Mi shoe on it!

That said, the RX10 is a very fine camera, and will cover probably 90%+ of many users "needs" - it doesn't fit in a pocket, and I still wish it had 4K, but other than that, it's become the "go to" camera for me and many others.

Noa Put August 15th, 2014 06:10 PM

I would prefer the rx10 to shoot pictures, I always shoot in raw and the bokeh looks much nicer at the longer tele end at f2.8, two things the ax100 can't do.