CMOS Camcorders/DSLRs with Global Shutter. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Major Player

CMOS Camcorders/DSLRs with Global Shutter.

Has anyone compiled a list of the current CMOS sensor'd camcorders and DSLRs with Global Shutter (full sensor readout per frame) for $20k or less? The $20k means a fully functional camera that includes a basic lens, battery and recording device if an external recording device is required.
I keep seeing great new HD camcorders coming out with new HD 1080p 4:2:2 codec's @ 50Mbps but I want to know which of these new cameras have the above video codecs and global shutter.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: CMOS Camcorders/DSLRs with Global Shutter.

The only ones out that fit this criteria are the Blackmagic 4K Production Camera and the upcoming Blackmagic URSA and AJA CION.

They all use an industrial Global Shutter CMOS sensor intended for use on assembly line robots, but re-purposed for video.

None of the big camera manufacturers are looking to solve this problem for under the price range you're looking at.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jack for your response. Was hoping either Canon or Panasonic would come up with something to combat rolling shutter in CMOS format. I heard that one of the DSLR's from Panasonic may have the Full Sensor readout capability. that would help prevent some of the rolling shutter effect.
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The GH4 still has some issues with skew, especially in the 1:1 pixel 4K and C4K modes.

Blackmagic and AJA may be the ice-breakers for global shutter sensors for under 20K. The big manufacturers are currently putting effort into getting sensors to support 4K in less space, and Global Shutter would not work for dynamic range.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh well I'll have to run and gun with my F65 :-) Boy that's really practical (NOT)!
Or just pick up a F55 for $47,613.48 fully loaded!
I'm hearing rumors (probably wishful thinking) that one of the new Canon EOS DSLRs will have high-speed full sensor readout. Either the EOS 1 DX MkII or the EOS 7 MkII. Will see Photokina is coming up soon.
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I waited for a good CCD camera for my first HD prosumer camera, (was gonna go tapeless with a XH-G1s and a Nanoflash) but ended up with the PMW-EX1R because I could live with the skew that camera gave, which is closer to a RED than a DSLR.

Wishing for this is currently unfortunately a pipe dream at the moment. I would go for a URSA or a CION, but I can't live with ProRes, being a Windows based editor.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion