New Mac , Old Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Mac , Old Video

Just got a new iMac. Planning to get Final Cut Pro, but for now I'm playing with iMovie, which reminds me of my old laptop that had Windows Movie Maker. Kind of like comparing a Moviscop viewer and rewinds to a Steenbeck. I just had some mini DV tapes converted to DVD which play fine on the separate disc reader-burner, but I can't import them to iMovie. In the past I downloaded the free version of Any Video Converter and did just fine. I'm a little leery of downloading something free off the net, my old laptop got nailed with some malware from a free audio mixing software a few years ago. Is there a free converter for Macs that is safe? Also, I want to convert my old VHS, Betacam (all formats including SX) to a video file. I understand there is a cheap way using a camcorder as a pass through to the new version of firewire, which I'll need an adaptor for. I'm using a Canon GL-1. What do I need and how much does it cost?
Marty Hamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Mac , Old Video

Hi Marty

I think you need to download VLC player (for the codecs) and Handbrake and rip the DVD's to an editable file type like .mov.

Cheers

Tim
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well as the old expression goes, "There's no such thing as a free lunch". Free software .... can't expect much.

Why not pay a little and support someone providing the capability needed? DVDxDVPro is a long time Mac utility for ripping DVDs into video files for the various Mac editing packages ... including iMovie.

If GL-1 supports pass through, you will need a 4-pin to 9-pin firewire cable assuming your iMac has Firewire 800.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I've used Handbrake before.
Marty Hamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Some combination of Handbrake/MPEG Streamclip/VLC should do you well. Heck, been using those freebies as a pro for years.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion