Sony VG900 - audio gap after 4GB limit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VG900 - audio gap after 4GB limit

I need to record 3 hour lecture witn Sony VG900, but the problem is that when this camera reach 4GB file limit I loose a second of audio. Is there a solution for this (without the need of external recorder)?
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony VG900 - audio gap after 4GB limit

Are you using Sony transfer software that came with the camera? It should join files and transfer a single clip.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Without the audio gaps? I doubt that some software can replace audio that wasn't captured, but I will look at it.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Issue has been reported many times for many AVCHD cameras from Sony by people just taking the files off the cards. The original Sony PMB and current Playmemories is designed to join files together as they are transfered as a single clip to the PC. I have NX5U, NX30U, CX700 and others to record long shows and the software works every time to transfer to PC and as such I use no other method.

Ron Evans
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That missing audio bit is not gone, it's there on the card but you need the Sony software to puzzle the pieces back together.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There isn't any "gap", it just requires the Sony software (there's also some third party apps to do it IIRC) to properly stitch the subclips together seamlessly. You can't just drag the files off the card with AVCHD.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Dave,
The Sony Play Memories software doesn't work with XP. Are there free third party apps that would work?
I was only able to find one (needs CLI to re-sync the audio) with a search.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think Vegas and other NLE's will also correctly read the card or directly connect to the camera. If you can get an old copy of Sony PMB it too will work on XP I think. This is for WIN 7 but may work. Sony eSupport - Electronics - Drivers & Software DIdn't do search for older versions.

Ron Evans
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Sony Play memories software won't work on Vista either. It can't see the files on an SDHC card plugged into my laptop (which has an SDHC slot) It wants to see a camera connected by USB. Dumb.

There must be some software that will correctly join the .MTS files as on long one.
As I said above, only thing I can find is something that uses the CLI to re-sync audio.

Ken
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

PMB and Playmemories both have to setup first with camera connected. These programs then have them in their list of cameras they support and will recognize files from them on cards.

Ron Evans
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Ron.
Unfortunately, I don't have the camera the cards were recorded in, hence my search for an "independent" software solution.
Ken
Old September 5th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Vegas or Edius will read from the card. Have you tried them?

Ron Evans
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Ron,
Yes, I have tried Vegas 10. Whether importing from the Exporer window or browsing to the files using "import media", the only option I see are the .MTS files themselves. If I select all 3 of them and drag to the timeline, I see the infamous "missing audio" bit at the file break. There doesn't appear to be a way to import the whole card file structure that actually joins the files together and displays all the audio.
Fortunately, on my recent shoot, the master audio track (mix out from the board) was recorded to my trusty DVX100a recording a CU of the lead singer, and used to sync up the other 2 cameras (Sony AVCHD shooting at 1080 60p) which had pretty muddy audio from their built in mics from the venue speakers.
Do you know of another way to get these files, or the complete card structure, into Vegas?
Inquiring minds, etc., etc.
Ken
Old September 6th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #14
Trustee

Do you have the complete card structure? I.E the 'PRIVATE' folder off the card with all its contents. If you do and it's sitting on your hard drive the only software that I know of that will bring all the clips in seamlessly into one long clip without breaks off a hard drive is Sony's 'Content Management Utility.' It seems to be the only software that will see the PRIVATE folder sitting on a hard drive.

If you have a card with all its contents and a card reader then you can use Vegas but DO NOT use the 'import media' dialogue. Depending on the version of Vegas you are using you can use the 'Device Explorer' under the 'View' menu or call up the Device Explorer using CTRL+ ALT+ 7. Under its dialogue select a destination folder and import all the clips. Spanned clips from long takes will be brought in and joined correctly as one long clip without audio breaks. Short clips that were stand alone takes will come in as short individual clips.

To install Sony's Content Management Utility you will need to beg, borrow or steal an AVC capable Sony stills or video camera and have it connected to the PC to complete the installation. Once CMU is installed you don't need to have a camera connected in the future to bring in footage from either a card or hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Plotin View Post
Ron,
Yes, I have tried Vegas 10. Whether importing from the Exporer window or browsing to the files using "import media", the only option I see are the .MTS files themselves. If I select all 3 of them and drag to the timeline, I see the infamous "missing audio" bit at the file break. There doesn't appear to be a way to import the whole card file structure that actually joins the files together and displays all the audio.
Fortunately, on my recent shoot, the master audio track (mix out from the board) was recorded to my trusty DVX100a recording a CU of the lead singer, and used to sync up the other 2 cameras (Sony AVCHD shooting at 1080 60p) which had pretty muddy audio from their built in mics from the venue speakers.
Do you know of another way to get these files, or the complete card structure, into Vegas?
Inquiring minds, etc., etc.
Ken
Have you tried FileJoiner-Standalone_11-1-2013? It works with my Panasonic mts files.
Jerry Dycus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900