I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 29th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?

To add to the thread -

$1K for a video capable laptop is probably a bit low, there are gaming machines with higher end video cards that supposedly will be workable. I'm fiddling with editing on a 4th gen Ultrabook, haven't got it configured yet, and need to hit up Intel for a working driver for my external 4K monitor - driver issues are LOTS o' fun on the "bleeding edge"!

Windows 7 is good, but Windows 8/8.1 is faster, and once you get rid of the "PlaySkool" interface with a 3rd party "start" menu, the transition is not "too" painful. I survived the initial shock and revulsion, and now run W8.1 with quite stable results.

I agree that sometimes configuring a computer for video editing is an "adventure" - setting up a 4K capable desktop on the cheap was an interesting experience, and while I use Windows Defender (MS Security Essentials is good for W7), so I don't worry TOO much about infections (and Defender and SE are easy on system resources unlike most "modern" Anti virus software), I too fear the inevitable "refresh"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #17
Major Player

I've been through running Premiere and Vegas on a variety of Windows 7 64 laptops. My suggestion is saving up a bit more money. First off, you need a really good graphics card in the machine, 2GBs of dedicated RAM. Secondly, you need about 16 GBs of RAM. A SSD main drive is also really worth while.

I highly recommend against Windows 8 until the next release of 8 or even 9 comes out. I find it so frustrating that I've migrated back to 7 (64 bit). It's very very stable.

So my current best of breed laptop for editing (instead of a desktop which is still my favorite) is Lenovo Thinkpad. The model that comes with the kind of power you want is a W540 or above. You can remove the DVD drive and replace it with a second hard disk if you want.

HP also sells the Z laptop, and it has the kind of power you need.

Trying to low ball this kind of unit will lead to the kind of frustration you already have been through. Just go buy the right thing from the beginning and save yourself the grief. Your time is worth something. Go save another $1000 and get the right laptop from the start. Or better yet, buy a desktop which has the power supplies and other expansion to really do the job right. It will be cheaper.
By the way, I've also been running Premiere on a 16 GB iMac with an SSD. Not a problem to report at this point. It's wonderful. Cost me $1800 fully configured with 16GBs RAM on ebay. I find that I don't really need the laptop anymore.

Yes, there is also Linux, but I'm unclear how techie you really are. I've found Linux to be a pain in the ass. It's been much cheaper for me to just buy a real Windows machine and run standard software like Premiere and Vegas on it. If you are really into Linux already, then go for it. You'll figure out what you need to do.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:23 PM   #18
Major Player

I love Pantip Plaza! What an amazing place. I brought my old 2011 macbook pro in there because after 3 years the Graphics card was going out. A guy there in a store way in the back offered to fix for me with a hair dyer, it was either that or a new Mother board. I declined.

When my wife was shopping across the street I told her I'll be waiting for her in Pantip plaza! I bought some lens and a follow focus in there, but no computers.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:14 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm addicted to Pantip also. When browsing at a booth if I mention that I'd like to shop longer but I'm really thirsty for a cold drink at the A&W, next thing you know, somebody is handing me an ice cold root beer and offering me a stool. Now that's service! Been going there for years and one time I was shopping and the whole place was locked up with the lights going out as they were closing and the sales guy told me don't worry, keep looking (shopping for DVD player). I got the player and the security guy let me out. I only wish there was a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby. I get all my large poster prints (30x60") made over at the shop near the other restaurant, S&P I think it's called. Costs a fraction of what I pay in the states, $30 vs $160.

Go over to MBK Plaza and find the high end camera shop, with the rigged out C500.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I'm addicted to Pantip also. When browsing at a booth if I mention that I'd like to shop longer but I'm really thirsty for a cold drink at the A&W, next thing you know, somebody is handing me an ice cold root beer and offering me a stool. Now that's service! Been going there for years and one time I was shopping and the whole place was locked up with the lights going out as they were closing and the sales guy told me don't worry, keep looking (shopping for DVD player). I got the player and the security guy let me out. I only wish there was a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby. I get all my large poster prints (30x60") made over at the shop near the other restaurant, S&P I think it's called. Costs a fraction of what I pay in the states, $30 vs $160.

Go over to MBK Plaza and find the high end camera shop, with the rigged out C500.

Mark
Mark I feel an odd kinship with you knowing you know about Pantip! Yes, the A&W at the 1st floor entrance I've been there as well, but I usually go to the food court at the top of the escalators. Instead of root beer, I'm addicted to Thai-tea (Cha-yin) on a hot day they go down very easy!

I go to Thailand quite often because my wife is from Ubon Rachathaini. She had an apt at the Skytrain station Anuit..... a few blocks from there. So I always stayed over there when I came..... now of course we live in Santa Fe, NM, but go back at least once a year to shop for her store here in Santa Fe, and visit her family.

Yes MBK is another cool place for camera gear lots of "high end" camera shops there as well as just about anything else you might need. My wife always buys Durian chips there..... I think the only place to get them in Bangkok.

Bangkok is such a stark contrast to the dying strip malls in America. I try to explain the many shopping malls in Bangkok to my friends here but they can't quite comprehend the size and magnitude of what I'm talking about. There is one mall, I think, "Emporium" that has a BMW/Maserati dealership on the 5th floor!!!

There seems to be some nice Hotels around Pantip Plaza..... but I can't remember because I never looked for one. The problem with Pantip is getting there through the traffic usually a sky train stop then a Tuk-tuk...... after a day of my wife shopping across the street, and me at Pantip plaza we have so much stuff to haul back home we have to take a taxi, but the taxi's don't go that direction at certain times of the day.

Can't wait to go back to Thailand again this coming February..... maybe I'll see you there.... ha ha!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Major Player

I took some photos and video inside Pantip Plaza. I'll see if I can digg them up later and post a couple here.

One good thing about the 5D3 is it's not too obvious..... although once while on my way out I filmed going down the escalators and a security guard started harassing me all the way out the door. In an act of defiance once I was outside on the street I took a few photos of the the entrance to Pantip...... and he was still chasing me away. So if I do find any photos you know they are posted here at great risk to myself...... ha hah!
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #22
Major Player

I know all of what you're talking about, got photos of them cars in the mall too! I've bought 3 laptops in Pantip and got a cell phone fixed there. To get there, I take the Skytrain and get off at N1 Rathathewi (sounds more like "Ratch-a-Terry"). Take Exit 4 from the platform. At the bottom of the steps, do a 180 and walk up the sidewalk to the intersection. Turn right onto Phetchaburi Road. Walk about 12 minutes and Pantip is on your right. If you go by taxi, hire him for a few hours, exchange cell numbers, have him drop you at the front entrance. He'll go park the car, call you and come find you. If he's like most, he'll offer to carry all your stuff. When done shopping, tell him to go get the car and meet you in front in so many minutes. I've also had stuff I bought delivered to my hotel so I could get on the Skytrain and keep on shopping or hit a movie theater (Siam Paragon) on the way home. Doubt I'll be there in Feb. but I never know. Planning a 20-day trip for Christmas & New Years right now. Every time I get a new camera I feel like I need to go back and re-shoot certain things!! They don't like you to take pictures inside due to the sale of pirated movies, music and software. It's actually illegal there. Have fun!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?-bkk-jim-thompson-house-4.jpg   I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?-bkk-mbk-plaza-night-2.jpg  

I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?-img_9837.jpg   I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?-img_9829.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Watson; November 4th, 2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Grammatical error.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #23
Equal Opportunity Offender

It could always be a similar thing to South Korea where the interior design of their shopping centres is a competitive sensitivity - something that is more important than usual when differentiating yourself form the rest of the concrete jungle.

I took this photo in South Korea. Through my interpreter I did offer (to the security guys) to delete the pic, but they were happy to just ask me to not take any more photos.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
I am done with Apple - what Windows laptop would you recommend?-sth-korea-interior-design.jpg  
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #24
Major Player

Oh sorry I dropped the ball in responding to this. My hard drive got fried with all my photos of Pantip Plaza, and all my good video. But here is a video I made shortly after getting my 5D3..... out of focus and all.

Old November 29th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
To add to the thread -

$1K for a video capable laptop is probably a bit low, there are gaming machines with higher end video cards that supposedly will be workable. [snip]
I'll add a me too to that. You could check out the sort of specs recommended by Videoguys. (I have a feeling links are not welcome here, but the info is short Google away.) I'll also go along with looking at gaming laptops, because they seem to offer a lot of bang for your buck, and tend to have the right balance of components for video editing.

I went for an MSI GT70 ONE a year or so back. It only has a four core CPU (i7-3630QM) and 16Gb RAM, but the GTX680 video card is useful, and it has a pair of SSDs in a raid0 for the boot drive. It runs the full Creative Cloud suite quite well, and boots and loads apps amazingly fast. It cost maybe double your budget though.
Old November 30th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #26
Major Player

Welcome back Trevor!

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion