Impossible Camera Recommendation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 30th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Tourist

Impossible Camera Recommendation?

Hey guys
I'm looking around right now for a new video camera, but I can't seem to find one that suits both my budget and what I want to use it for. I want to use it to shoot
- Music videos
- Short movies
- Sports such as BMX, Skatebording, Rock climbing

I would also like it to have a external mic input and to have pretty good video quality that I can colour grade later. I was originally thinking of something like the 700D, but I don't think it would very good for sports due to the need for manual focus. Last thing, I would love it if it was under a AU$1000 budget, but if it's more expensive and the cost can be justified then I will consider it.
Thanks for any help
Jacob Briant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Impossible Camera Recommendation?

For sports I'd definitely recommend a proper video camera rather than a DSLR.

Have you looked at the Canon XA20? It's about $1800 AUD. If you can't stretch you budget that far, you might be able to pick up the older (but still very good) Canon XA10 for around your budget.

Then there's the Canon HF-G20, which is the same as the XA20 but lacks the XLR input handle and is a bit cheaper.

Definitely not impossible, there are more options. But these are what I'd choose for around that price.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jacob?

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ1000 ..in your budget and has good AF and a fixed lens but a huge zoom.

Otherwise why not look at a used camera???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For music videos and short movies you are best off getting a fast prime lens, for sports such as BMX, skatebording and Rock climbing a fisheye might come in handy.

My suggestion would be to get a

panasonic g6 body: 380 euro
Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5: 220 euro
Samyang 35mm T/1.5: 390 euro

total 990 euro

These are EU prizes exl taxes but I guess close to your goal anyway, the g6 is a excellent camera for the current price and the lenses I mentioned are all manual, if you want good autofocus and a motorised zoom for under 1k you need to get a regular videocamera like Jody suggested but you will loose out on the creativity the g6 and suggested lenses will provide you.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for your suggestions. I quite like the idea of a csc, because it'd give me the creativity of a dslr, but portable. I already have a few Nikon G lenses, so I could get an adapter for them. Any reccomendations as to what's the best?
Jacob Briant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You could also get the cheap nikon d5300 which seems to be getting some good reviews as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion