A Market for Milestone Film Products at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 8th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Market for Milestone Film Products

I started off shooting photography before moving my focus to film. As a photographer I shot the usual types of sessions...weddings, engagements, family portraits, senior pictures, newborns, and milestones. We all know there is a growing market and awareness for wedding films, but I am very interested in trying to build a market for video alternatives to all of the above photography products.

My question to you all is if executed properly do you think there could be a demand for these types of products? I recently shot the short film seen below of my niece Clara who is less than a year old. The response I got from the film was very encouraging. Her mother and many others stated that the film captured the essence of Clara better than anything else had.

My biggest obstacle thus far is that at least in my area, even as a filmmaker I constantly get requests for photography, but clients are not really familiar with the concept of hiring a filmmaker and are hesitant to do so. They wouldn't think twice about hiring me as a photographer, but when I bring up the concept of producing a film instead of taking stills it is completely foreign to them and as a result is a very hard sell (even though they have expressed great admiration for my other film works).

I am interested in hearing if anyone else seems to run into this challenge and what they have done to overcome it.
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A Market for Milestone Film Products

I don't have experience in this area, but if I were you, I'd find every Lamaze instructor in the area and make sure to show this film in every one of their classes. Lamaze instructors are also small business people. You might offer a commission for every client that they refer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion