My first 4K camera is a phone ;) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 9th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Trustee

My first 4K camera is a phone ;)

I have never been into the camera on my phones. Low quality, grainy, blurry pictures from a pin hole lens with my fingerprints all over it have never impressed me. The only thing I have ever used my phone cameras for was grabbing a spontaneous snapshot that popped up and just had to be done. That might change now, at least a little bit. My Motorola Droid Razor bit the dust last week. Fortunately I was out of contract and eligible for an upgrade. I despise the way cell companies do business but that is another rant.

After going through all of the necessary research I picked the LG G3. Here is a tip, I could have paid Verizon $200.00 for it but I didn’t. I got it at Amazon for $79.00. You can find similar discounts on lots of phones from all of the carriers there. Best deals I could find.

I picked the LG G3 primarily because I wanted the big 5.5 inch display. These things aren’t really phones anymore. They are computers that just happen to have a phone in them and I like that. It is a multipurpose tool to me. For a guy that does not get excited over these things I must say this phone is blowing me away. The 5.5 inch IPS display is 4K at 2560x1440 (not really 4K but they call it that) and it is absolutely beautiful. Yea I know, the Mac propaganda machine is screaming the human eye cannot detect any improvement over 1080 HD on a small display. I don’t care what the spec is, it is a gorgeous display.

On top of the display being ultra sharp and big enough to be useful, the camera actually works well and shoots video at UHD 3840x2160 and it looks good. The 13 MP still camera has laser measured auto focus and image stabilization. This is a phone camera that I will actually use for snap shooting and quick videos. They look great.

I have them being stored on my removable 16 gig micro SD card plus the phone has 32 gigs of internal storage. This thing has a quad core processor and 3 gigs of ram. The Chrome browser is smoking fast. I could go on and on about all of the things I like about this phone. The bottom line is after going through every generation of smart phone I finally have one that really works for me. I think it is funny that my first 4K video camera is a phone and I paid $79.00 for it.

The LG website says it supports HDMI through the USB micro port so I will pick up the adapter. Of course that will be output only. I wish there was an app that could make it an input too. In a perfect world it would have video inputs and outputs. But hey, it’s a phone and I paid $79.00 whopping dollars for it. I don’t have a GoPro because I don’t need one. This might push me over the edge to pick one up. Does anyone have any app suggestions to make this thing more useful as far as a video device.

Last edited by Steven Digges; October 9th, 2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: SP
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: My first 4K camera is a phone ;)

It is funny but it just so happens my first 4K camera is a phone too. (I didn't even know it at the time.)

I realized I can shoot 4K via a third party app for the iPhone 6. (MoviePro for iOS which allows shooting in 3072x1728 at 24p.)

Editing the footage was a breeze in Final Cut Pro X and I was able to easily share it via Youtube.

Here is an example:

Crazy!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: My first 4K camera is a phone ;)

My phone has 4K, it's the same camera as the LG3 I think (my phone is the LG G Pro 2) and while it looks quite good, I'm not sure if I'd be able to use it for anything as a C or D Camera mainly for the fact you can't set the shutter or exposure manually, but yeah the footage does look decent for a Phone.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion