DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Alternative sites to vimeo and youtube? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/525656-alternative-sites-vimeo-youtube.html)

Joe Riggs November 7th, 2014 09:27 PM

Alternative sites to vimeo and youtube?

Any GOOD alternative video streaming sites to youtube and vimeo?

At the very least it should have the ability to password protect/private your upload.

Thanks

Seth Bloombaum November 8th, 2014 10:35 AM

Re: Alternative sites to vimeo and youtube?

A $60/yr Vimeo Plus account will get you very easy password protection; I use it all the time.

A slightly harder alternative for those who are web savvy is to create a privately hosted wordpress site that has user/password protection. That would also take about $60/yr for cheapest web hosting (?), as well as the time to build it. Much longer if one has to develop the wordpress skills first.

For those with more advanced web skills, Amazon Web Services and S3 storage are so inexpensive as to be almost free. But there's a lot of building your own without much support.

AFAIK there isn't a free hosting site that offers password protection.

Noa Put November 8th, 2014 12:41 PM

What's wrong with Vimeo? For youtube I can understand if you don't want that as Google can use your footage without your approval once you place it on youtube but at least on vimeo you stay the only owner.

Donald McPherson November 9th, 2014 04:47 AM

What's wrong with YouTube it has password.

Gary Huff November 9th, 2014 08:37 AM

Wistia.

Stefan Gill November 14th, 2014 02:59 PM

Wistia is OK but it doesn't allow for defaulting to HD, it "detects" your internet signal and predetermines if it should play HD or not .. for me, it almost always plays SD although it could easily play HD.

Chris Hurd November 14th, 2014 04:33 PM

Satisfied Vimeo Pro customer here. Well worth the $60/yr. in my opinion.

Joe Riggs November 19th, 2014 07:05 PM

I've experienced both the following issues with youtube:

To make a video private you have to put in the client's email address and it must be a gmail address. This won't work for people without gmail.

They now have some image copywrite protection, so regardless of the song, if you are using video content that belongs to major networks/film studios it won't allow it. Normally this won't matter but I was putting together a reel that featured shots from shows worked on and it is blocked.

I love Vimeo but read Vimeo will be adopting this too, so looking for alternatives.