Samsung Galaxy Note 4 exposure settings no effect on video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 exposure settings no effect on video

For my first smartphone, I got the Note 4. Of course, I did not expect it to perform like my Panny GH3 or Sony NX5/NX70.

But, it has a very annoying defect, wondering if all Note 4's have the problem.

The exposure settings such as ISO , +/- , only affect stills. With video, when using them, on the preview before starting the recording, they seem to be working. And, they work for stills. But as soon as the recording starts, the image on the screen reverts to the default look. For example, if I boost the exposure +2, the preview looks over exposed, and if I drop it to -2, the preview looks underexposed - but neither setting has any effect on the final video. It does not matter which video size or fps is chosen.

Again, all is normal for stills.

All feedback and comments most welcome!

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 exposure settings no effect on video

Try looking for LGcamera.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Donald, but I am confused. Did you mean search DVinfo for LGcamera? I did but found nothing helpful about my problem.

Steve
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Major Player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...epper.lgCamera
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Donald;

Before I give up on the built-in Samsung camera app; I want to know if every Note 4 has the problem, or if my phone is defective.

Also not sure how a third-party app will work with the specific sensor module in my phone, the Sony IMX240 Exmor RS.

Is there a better forum on DVinfo for smartphone video?

Steve
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I tried the LG Camera app and it is terrible. Ads, does not support the UHD modes on my Note 4, and it crashes a LOT.

I contact Samsung support via chat. Typical offshored frustration, please see below.

Still looking for other Note 4 owners who can shed light on this problem.

Steve
---------
Valyncia: I am sorry to say, it is default with the device.
steve crye: Can you please elaborate?
Valyncia: Sure.
Valyncia: I am sorry to inform you that the exposure values are applicable only for the pictures but not the videos which is the reason why the exposure values are not getting applicable for the recording.
steve crye: Can you please provide a link to a document that confirms that?

(At that point the chat operator disconnected the chat!)

grrrr
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Wouldn't surprise me if there eventually is a "shooting with a smart phone" section one of these days... but it's still a very limited number of phones that have halfway respectable imaging capabilities - most are pretty low end quality at best...

The suggestion to try a different "camera" app is worth trying. It may be that the "stock" camera software is limited or buggy (so not "working" for video), but a third party app will access features that are there correctly.

You have to think of these "smart" devices differently - there's hardware, which you can't do a lot about, but then there's the software layer, which may (or may not be) able to access the features and capabilities of the hardware in different ways... so what may appear to be a "defect" may just be how a particular app accesses the hardware, while a different app accesses things the way you "expect" it to...

It's not unlike those of us who either do or wish to "hack" a specific model of camera at a firmware level to make it do things the HARDWARE is capable of, but were "left out" by the manufacturer for some reason. Obviously you'd "expect" the factory software on a phone or tablet to be able to use the hardware, but I've seen a couple devices with NO "camera" app... but you could easily install one (or several!)

Hope that helps make some sense of what you're seeing - it's very likely that the Sony module is capable of doing what you expect, but the factory Samsung "skin" software doesn't work as expected...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if there eventually is a "shooting with a smart phone" section one of these days... but it's still a very limited number of phones that have halfway respectable imaging capabilities - most are pretty low end quality at best...

The suggestion to try a different "camera" app is worth trying. It may be that the "stock" camera software is limited or buggy (so not "working" for video), but a third party app will access features that are there correctly.

You have to think of these "smart" devices differently - there's hardware, which you can't do a lot about, but then there's the software layer, which may (or may not be) able to access the features and capabilities of the hardware in different ways... so what may appear to be a "defect" may just be how a particular app accesses the hardware, while a different app accesses things the way you "expect" it to...

It's not unlike those of us who either do or wish to "hack" a specific model of camera at a firmware level to make it do things the HARDWARE is capable of, but were "left out" by the manufacturer for some reason. Obviously you'd "expect" the factory software on a phone or tablet to be able to use the hardware, but I've seen a couple devices with NO "camera" app... but you could easily install one (or several!)

Hope that helps make some sense of what you're seeing - it's very likely that the Sony module is capable of doing what you expect, but the factory Samsung "skin" software doesn't work as expected...
Thanks Dave,

Hopefully someone will write an app that takes full advantage of the Sony IMX240 in the camera. It does take great stills, and good video when conditions are conducive to full auto.

I would attach an example but the forum php does not seem to work from the mobile browser I use.

Steve
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm pleased to report the problem has been "fixed."

I should have known better than to waste time with Chat-based support.

I email Samsung, and received a nice, grammatically correct reply that led me to the solution - clear the camera app's data and cache. Although this begs the question of why this was needed and how often I will have to do it, I am pleased.

Here's a snippet of Samsung's response:
-------

Please perform the below troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue and check with the result.

Clear the cache and data of Camera application.

From the Home screen touch Apps >> Settings >> Applications >> Application Manager >> swipe the screen to left till you see “All” on the top >> select the Camera application from the list >> tap on clear cache and clear data. Then, come back to “All” screen >> touch Menu (located at the top right side with 3 vertical dots)>> tap on “Reset app preferences”.

If the issue persists, please reset the Camera. Open the Camera >> touch Settings (Gear) icon >> tap on horizontal dots >> tap on Reset.

After that, perform soft reset on the phone. Soft reset refreshes the internal circuitry of the device.

1. Turn off the handset.
2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.
3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.

Generally, performing above steps should resolve the issue. Thank you for choosing Samsung phones.
---

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion