DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   For Live Streaming: Wirecast & Lunchbox Computer for Portability? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/525945-live-streaming-wirecast-lunchbox-computer-portability.html)

David Horwitz December 2nd, 2014 03:04 PM

For Live Streaming: Wirecast & Lunchbox Computer for Portability?

Hi all,

Our organization is planning to move on from Haivision and start live streaming via AWS, which is now hosting our VOD. I did some looking into encoding software several months ago, and it seems like Telestream's Wirecast is the best software out there.

If that's the case, I think we would want that and a lunchbox computer for the hardware. We want the system to be portable for offsite use, although we do have a studio in-house. It would also be good if the case is robust, like those Panasonic Toughbooks, or if we could at least get a nice protective case, that would be plan B. These 2 options look promising:

DV/StreamLine Showcases the MC2310! | Broadcast Beat Magazine: 2014 IBC Show, CCW+SATCON Expo and NAB Show News

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079633-REG/b_h_photo_pc_pro_workstation_mobile_wirecast_studio_turnkey.html

Most of our shoots to start off with will be using 1 camera, and we may move to 2 cams in the future.

We want the ability to stream live offsite with the venue's internet connection, and we also want to record to disk. The Matrox VS4 card seems like the one to go for since it allows you to record individual cameras.

We'd like to spend less than $10,000, but we should be able to go over if necessary.

Let me know what your thoughts are, thanks.

Seth Bloombaum December 2nd, 2014 06:23 PM

Re: For Live Streaming: Wirecast & Lunchbox Computer for Portability?

In my experience, you're on the right track.

Sorry no specific experience with that Matrox capture card. Blackmagic also has a four input HD-SDI card as well.

I'd *highly* recommend visiting the wirecast forum at telestream.net. It's the only one; users are always concerned about capture card compatibility. That a couple different integrators are standing behind wirecast with matrox is a very good sign. But do be aware that there have been conflicts in the past with various cards and configurations, you definitely want something on the "known good" list!

I used to run a couple lunchboxes from:
High Performance Portable Computers | Rugged Lunchbox PC | BSIComputer.com

It's a very handy size both for quick setups, and, because you can take it as hand carry on all but the smallest airplanes.

If you or someone where you work does integration, BSI is a good supplier of the hardware. But maybe an independent integrator with wirecast experience is more important to you; everyone's experience and needs are a little different.

Regardless, yes you do need a fast i7 with lots of RAM for multistream HD capture and switching. Typically you're outputting 480p or 720p, but there are quality benefits from 1080p ingest.

Your cameras do put out HD-SDI? If only HDMI, you'll need to add some converters to the list, lots of little pieces and power supplies that increase the complexity of the setup fast.

Do give some thought to audio. Where does it come into the webcast chain? You want to compare a good audio source coming in from one of your cameras to explore latency issues vs. audio card capture. Maybe you'll be fine with sound card capture, if so it simplifies your wirecast setup.

Depends on your sources of content. Mic level? Line level? Need your own small mixer? (wirecast has some internal mixing, but limited!) Need to do breakaway audio? Another source of music? (wirecast can play sound files from your hard drive, but better make sure everything is the same sample rate!)

David Horwitz December 2nd, 2014 07:17 PM

Hi Seth,

Thanks, I talked to someone at DV Streamline. He said they've moved on to systems running VMix: vMix - Video Mixing Software | Live Video Production Software

I've been testing VMix, and it does seem like it uses less CPU power and offloads some processing to the GPU. It looks like you're limited to 3 encodes, but we're currently only using 3. The rep mentioned you can do ISO recording to disk.

We have a camera with an SDI output, and we could get another one if necessary.

For on-site stuff, we have an audio engineer and he does all the mixing. The audio is line level. For offsite stuff, I'm guessing we can use wireless transmitters that feed in to the cameras, or get a small mixer....or take our engineer with us and have him deal with all the audio equipment. Latency is a good point to keep in mind. We'll likely test this in house, and try to do a demo with California Media Solutions before we purchase anything.

I'm thinking about waiting for the laptop version, which the rep said is supposed to be released around February. We will likely need to use Haivision until May anyway.

Has anybody compared VMix and Wirecast?

Seth Bloombaum December 2nd, 2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Horwitz (Post 1869560)
Has anybody compared VMix and Wirecast?

Not me, I've been quite happy with Wirecast.

Unfortunately there are darn few online resources for webcasting reviews & such. You are familiar with Streaming Media, their magazine, buyer's guides, conventions, and website? Jan Ozer's website?

PM me with your email address if you'd like to continue to discuss off-forum.