DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Vimeo starts with 4K downloads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/526009-vimeo-starts-4k-downloads.html)

Noa Put December 9th, 2014 03:22 AM

Vimeo starts with 4K downloads

Just saw a blog article where Vimeo talks about their 4K future plans and current offering:
https://vimeo.com/blog/post:664

Darren Levine December 9th, 2014 08:23 AM

Re: Vimeo starts with 4K downloads

Yea it's not much, still waiting on them to stream 4k. youtube has been doing that for some time now

Noa Put December 9th, 2014 08:37 AM

Considering how many people actually view 4k content online on a 4K pc screen I think having the option only to deliver a 4K downloadable file for your client if they want to view it on their 4K tv is a good start and all their friends/family can still view in either 720p or 1080p online depending on the device. For the next months to come 1080p that was shot on a 4K camera looks very detailed on a 1080p screen so I don"t see the need now for 4K streaming and I think Vimeo will not hurry up for us few pixel nerds that want to have it now. Youtube was one of the first but how many actually have been viewing 4K streams on a 4K screen up until now?

Mark Rosenzweig December 9th, 2014 02:08 PM

Vimeo starts with 4K Re-compressed downloads

The title of this thread is misleading.

Here is what is going on at Vimeo:

1. One can always have downloaded an *original* 4K file if that was uploaded to Vimeo. One can still do that.

2. What is new, and not obviously useful, if not downright confusing to users, is that Vimeo will transcode an original 4K video into a *more compressed* 4K version available for download. That is it.

I would not want anyone to see my 4K videos using the downloaded re-compressed Vimeo version. If I wanted a smaller 4K file, by using more compression, I would have uploaded that. I did not because I want people to see the 4K video in all its glory.

I think having two 4K versions - the original and the Vimeo re-compressed version - will be confusing. And I see little value to having this addition.

Noa Put December 9th, 2014 06:00 PM

The thread title is exactly what they originally promised in that blogpost, I have not uploaded a 4K file yet and was under the impression that it was not possible to download the original 4K file again but can see now in the comments vimeo staff added that they will transcode uploaded 4K videos into 4K so they will be ready for 4K playback when they enable it on their site. So, what's the point of their action then if you are already able to download the original 4K file at this moment and can't playback 4K right now but can when they think they are ready?

Michael Thames December 9th, 2014 06:04 PM

Noa..... you have 4K on the brain disorder..... relax into HDV a little.

Mark Rosenzweig December 9th, 2014 06:45 PM

Vimeo continues with 4K downloads and adds an odd new option

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1870233)
The thread title is exactly what they originally promised in that blogpost, I have not uploaded a 4K file yet and was under the impression that it was not possible to download the original 4K file again but can see now in the comments vimeo staff added that they will transcode uploaded 4K videos into 4K so they will be ready for 4K playback when they enable it on their site. So, what's the point of their action then if you are already able to download the original 4K file at this moment and can't playback 4K right now but can when they think they are ready?

This is exactly what I said - what's the point of transcoding an original 4K file, if you can (as has always been true) download the original uploaded 4K file? The reason for the misleading thread title is indeed Vimeo's misleading blog title, and really completely superfluous "advance".

All the 4K videos I have linked in this forum (e.g., LX100, GoPro 4 Black, GH4, AX100)) that I made can be downloaded in their original 4K form from Vimeo.

Noa Put December 9th, 2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1870235)
Noa..... you have 4K on the brain disorder..... relax into HDV a little.

Michael, sometimes you have to know when to stop being so annoying. If you want to look smart, it's not working.

Noa Put December 9th, 2014 06:49 PM

Re: Vimeo continues with 4K downloads and adds an odd new option

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1870245)
All the 4K videos I have linked in this forum (e.g., LX100, GoPro 4 Black, GH4, AX100)) that I made can be downloaded in their original 4K form from Vimeo.

I wonder if they will take away the option to download the original file then? As it is now it would mean once they enable 4K playback all your 4K files that you have uploaded until then will stream in 4k automatically, that's a small advantage considering that was not the case before. I guess it's a small step into the right direction for those that want to "futureproof" their 4K uploads until Vimeo enables the 4K streaming option.

Mark Rosenzweig December 9th, 2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1870247)
I wonder if they will take away the option to download the original file then? As it is now it would mean once they enable 4K playback all your 4K files that you have uploaded until then will stream in 4k automatically, that's a small advantage considering that was not the case before. I guess it's a small step into the right direction for those that want to "futureproof" their 4K uploads until Vimeo enables the 4K streaming option.

I would guess they will not remove the original from the download list. But adding a "4K" video to download will have many people downloading the compressed rather than the original version (which is just labeled "Original") when the only purpose (an eventually useful one) of the compressed version is for streaming.

Mark Rosenzweig December 16th, 2014 08:06 PM

Sure enough - among the downloads are "Ultra HD 4K" and "Original." I bet most people will download the "Ultra HD 4K" and not the 4K "Original." And they (and the poster) will be shortchanged:

In this example, the "original" 4K is 6 GB; the Vimeo "Ultra HD 4K" is 1 GB! Why would anyone want this highly compressed, non-streaming version?

Noa Put December 17th, 2014 01:58 AM

For me that would be ok that the original one is still included although the name is confusing as people might think the Ultra HD 4K is better. If I would have a client that needs a 4K master I know I can place one online for reviewing purposes and if they find it ok direct them to the original file for download.