Google Drive headaches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 18th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Google Drive headaches

For the last several years I have used Google Drive to occasionally ship files to clients, but lately people seem to be having trouble with it. They don't even get the same error messages. One client is reporting a 404 error and the other got this message: "The video file might be corrupted, or the video has been uploaded in a format that doesn't work with the player. Please either choose a different format or try uploading the video again."

The link and the files seem fine from my end.

Here is the link in question:

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...p=docslist_api

Any suggestions on what is going on here?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Google Drive headaches

Hmm! Not good. Tried the link saw the contents but then got this when I tried to play the clip: Could not load the video player. Try reloading the page. If the problem persists, consult the Help Centre.

I had similar issues some time back with Google Drive. Two and a half years back I went to Sendspace and have been using their Sendspace Pro package since. It means clients have to download but none of my clients have had an issue with that. They get a link and anyone in their company can download if that link is passed on. It has been bullet proof and has only been offline for about two hours in one session in all that time and that was for server upgrades. The only proviso being that if your clients download more than 100GB from your space in a month you will have to buy top ups. In the two and a half years that has only happened once and $5 for another 10GB was fine by me. Download their Sendspace Wizard and you can monitor all server activity from its GUI on your desktop 24/7. Love it!

I have no connection with Sendspace... only to it :) As a user though if I find something useful I'm more than happy to relate any experiences if it's of any help to others.

https://www.sendspace.com/premium_upgrade.html

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Google Drive headaches-capture.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just use YouTube and save the video as "Private" or "Unlisted". Then I send the client the link. Never had any troubles with YouTube.

If they need the actual file, I use Dropbox.

Sublime Lighting LLC
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Could it have something to do with google recently rolling out an updated version of drive? Could be causing some issues, even if you didn't upgrade.

Untill/unless someone can give some more definite info, I'd suggest finding another method of file delivery until google can get their stuff sorted.

Google drive is great for the space it offers (for free!) but there are other relatively cheap transfer systems out there. If you're frequently sending clients big files, might be worth a monthly fee.
Alex Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks guys. Gonna give Mega a try I guess.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Try Dropbox
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

I use DropBox, but find that it is no where near as fast as my internet connection should allow. On the other hand, I was sent a 600Mb+ file via Google Drive and was astounded to have it downloading at 10Mb/sec.

Perhaps one could try uploading a zipped copy of the video file and see if that works?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post

Here is the link in question:

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...p=docslist_api

Any suggestions on what is going on here?
Did you try reuploading the file again? I occasionally get corruption, due to things like internet issues, time-outs and system issues on their end. I've reuploaded and it is fine the second time.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

@ John C. Chu - this is the third time I have had a problem with Google Drive. I re-uploaded the files the previous time it happened, and only recently found out that it didn't work. (Client was so annoyed he didn't even tell me he couldn't get the file. Not good.) I guess I'm done with trying to use Google Drive as a professional delivery service.

I'm now trying out iCloud Mail's mail drop function, and so far it seems like a winner. It lets you send attachments of up to 5 gigs by uploading the file into the cloud and serving up a link to non-iCloud users. The files auto delete after 30 days, which I actually like. I used to have to clear out my Google Drive folders all the time and it was a real pain. There is a full terabyte of storage available, but I'm not sure if that's a monthly, yearly, or concurrent limit. In any case, that's plenty for my moderate needs.

Upload times are SLOW though. It just took about 5 hours to upload a 1.9 gig file. Google Drive was way faster. It's a crying shame that the service does not appear reliable enough for anything crucial, and as with everything Google, there's no real support.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion