DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Making Logo Look Apart of Scene... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/526258-making-logo-look-apart-scene.html)

Brock Burwell December 31st, 2014 08:02 AM

Making Logo Look Apart of Scene...

I have a shot that I'm using where I start with the camera pointed at the sky (which was completely white, well, white-ish) and after a second or two of that, I pan down to show my subject (a photographer).

I have her logo and I was wanting to put it in the sky (which I was hoping would just look like her logo on a normal white background and then when I pan down, It'll reveal that it was part of the shot. I think it'll look kinda cool).

Anyway, the question is, when I pan down to show the subject, how can I make the logo pan up and disappear out of the frame (basically like it was sitting in the sky and as I move the camera down, it goes out of the frame?)

Any suggestions?

Rob Cantwell December 31st, 2014 09:27 AM

Re: Making Logo Look Apart of Scene...

If you were using adobe premiere perhaps convert the logo to a *.png and then insert it into a title with the roll option set, then place it where the shot of the bright sky is on the timeline.

Brock Burwell December 31st, 2014 09:30 AM

I'm currently using Final Cut Pro X.

I am able to put the logo where it needs to go. That isn't too much of a problem. What I need is the logo to pan up as I pan down so it looks like it's moving out of the frame instead of staying in the same place on the screen. Does that make sense? I'm struggling to explain it haha

Nate Haustein December 31st, 2014 10:02 AM

You need to motion track the scene and then "attach" the logo to it. You can do this by hand in FCPX using key frames or with a 3rd party program called TrackX I believe. Another option would be to use the "Track Point" feature in Motion if you have it. Basically you tell the program to track something like the edge of a cloud or building, and then it will copy the tracked movement onto the logo. Hope that helps.

If the sky is completely white without anything to track, you may simply need to animate things by hand. Not easy.

Jay Massengill December 31st, 2014 06:44 PM

If you were using Sony Vegas, you would use a Push Up transition on the logo at the moment the camera tilt-down starts. You would have to work on the timing to match the start point and rate of the camera's tilt-down, but that would be pretty easy if your camera tilt is smooth and constant.

Jim Andrada January 1st, 2015 02:54 AM

Well, if I were thinking of doing this I'd probably shoot with a wide lens and leave a lot of sky visible above the subject and composite in the logo and then "zoom" to the area of sky and logo and then keyframe the zoomed area to the bottom of the frame. In other words the whole move would be done in post - no camera tilt.

Of course this would mean planning it all out before shooting anything. If I wanted to be conservative I might shoot the logo clip at a higher resolution than th efirst real scene.- maybe shoot the "intro" scene at 4k or 2.5 k and the remainder at 1280 p

Or something like that. Just a thought

Brock Burwell January 1st, 2015 10:13 AM

I actually already have the scene shot, I am just working in post now.

I'm just not sure how to push the logo up as I pan down to the subject and away from the sky

Jim Andrada January 1st, 2015 10:54 PM

Yeah, I know you already shot it - comment was more about "next time" I guess.

I have to wonder though if there isn't some way to make it all happen in post instead of trying to match to speed with which you move the logo up with the speed of the downward pan. Is the photographer moving around as you pan down or is she pretty much standing still? If so you might be able to take the
last frame of the pan sequence and use it as a still image and "extend" the sky and use the idea on the still image over X frames or something.

Just an idea.

Failing something like that I think you're just going to have to do it all by trial and error.

Paul Wood January 2nd, 2015 01:57 AM

Brock - I assume you have the logo in a separate layer above the sky footage. Use the transform control to move it to where you want at the beginning of the shot, and then use the add keyframe control, and reposition it to where you want at the end of the shot - you can the add keyframes in between to control the movement over the course of the shot as you like.
Check out some of Ripple Training's FCPX in 5 minutes for soem tips.