Project #2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 15th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Project #2

I have my 2nd Project ready to start, and some guidance would be great. I'm ready to rent some equipment and also ready to hear set up approaches for the multiple set ups and locations.

INTRODUCTION & PROJECT NOTES
The athlete is a good friend
He wants some exposure for himself and team
He wants assistance with his annual expenses (until now he is mostly done this out of pocket)
He has the 200mph resume and records, so he is selling fact not fiction
Sponsorship driven idea
Various locations (his garage, his personal space, and on location)
Release date (potentially after test and tune, so we can get salt flat footage and before the season starts, possibly June)

SUBJECT
A land speed record holder who is a very big part of the Bonneville Salt Flats, in UT

PROJECT
Create a video for sponsorship request

LENGTH
Open to suggestions on how long this video should be

TARGET AUDIENCE
Energy drink companies, high performance bike part and pieces companies, clothing and bike apparel/leather/helmets, anyone who could be affiliated to 200mph on salt.

So, I'm ready to rent some equipment and start gathering files, as well as all the existing equipment I have from my still career.

Equipment I own, that I will use to get started:
- 5D3
- 24-70 and 70-200. I will be using these for DoF and low light in spaces like his workshop.
- Manfrotto tripods and fluid heads
- Glidecam
- Mac & CS software

Now, considering I don't own any video cameras, I'm ready to rent and try. I am a Canon shooter in stills, but I'm not sold as a Canon videographer. I'm open to suggestions to rent a video camera for scheduled shoots over the next month or so. I need to know what equipment is recommended to rent, so I can trial by fire and hopefully start accumulating the right gear for my lateral career inclusion. The upcoming sessions will be garage, workshop, fabrication environments.

Recommend a rental (I'm aware folks have personal preferences, but I will try as many as I can financially afford. And just in case I have thrown out the persona that I'm some little rich kid, I'm not. Costs will be covered, because he is aware I'm new to video and this is a work in progress as well as a introduction to project video for me. So, this place being a good "real" resource instead of a paid review, I feel comfortable with real opinions:

Camcorder: XA, XF or C OR a Sony model, OR other suggestions?
Continuous Lighting: LED 1' square? (how many are in a closed under lit set up)?
Screen: I do have a green screen, should I shoot with it is a backdrop in some footage just for experiential value?
Camera setting suggestion:
Any other equipment, ideas or suggestions for this style/type of project:

I'd like to use this post topic as an update over the next few months until I get a completed project ready for comment. (not sure if I'm allowed to do that, maybe there is another section on here for projects).

Thanks, very excited.
Paul Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Project #2

Oh, and I also own have sound recording equipment:

- Rhode mic and ZOOM H4n
Paul Meyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion