DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   DVSD AVI Files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/526834-dvsd-avi-files.html)

Ed Hecht February 11th, 2015 04:22 PM

DVSD AVI Files

I have a slew of SD (Hi8) videos captured via a Pinnacle device (long since sold) back in the mid-90s, all saved as 720x480 AVI files in the old DVSD codec. I am having an awful time converting them to mp4 or anything else for that matter.
The following will not even read/open them:
Adobe Media Encoder CS5 & CS6
SUPER
Handbrake
Movavi Video Converter 15 (I've also installed the Panasonic DV codec as recommended by Movavi.)
YouTube
Premiere Pro CS5 & CS6 will import and play them, albeit with no picture (audio only).
The only application that comes close to working is Quicktime Pro, which appears to convert them to mp4/h.264 (with some artifacting added), but without audio...
Does anyone have ideas for any other apps that might do the trick?

Seth Bloombaum February 11th, 2015 05:20 PM

Re: DVSD AVI Files

I'm guessing from your use of QT Pro that you're on mac?

If this is so, you should try these files on a Windows box. DVSD is part of the native Windows installation. Windows Media Player might like them, and if it does, something like Handbrake for PC might be the solution.

If you are on a Windows box, possibly your install of DirectX is broken. Or maybe the installation of one of the many programs you've installed has taken over the DVSD codec version that came natively with Windows.

If you've installed any "Codec Packs" on Windows, that could be the source of the problems. Uninstallation, or, worst case, reinstall of Windows might help.

However, IIRC, Pinnacle's version of DVSD (which is the fourCC code for DV25/AVI) was known to have compatibility problems. What editing software were you using at the time, that worked with these files?

BTW, installation of the Panasonic codec was a commonly recommended fix... but I don't know why you're not getting sound. Is it possible that these were encoded at the 12-bit / 32KHz / 4 tracks audio setting?

These kinds of problems are a real pain to track down.

Seth Bloombaum February 11th, 2015 05:33 PM

Check out the link in the last message in this thread on the Sony forum:
RE: Cannot find vids:dvsd Decompressor - Sony Vegas Movie Studio Forum

Risky... I've heard lots of advice against services like free-codecs dot com, but... maybe it will work for you.

Bryan Cantwell February 12th, 2015 12:53 PM

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip?

Ed Hecht February 12th, 2015 05:22 PM

HALLELUJAH!!! MPEG Streamclip did the trick! Thanks so much for your responses, Seth and Bryan. To answer your question (Seth), I am working in Windows. I can't remember what basic editor I was using with the Pinnacle box. But I swear they were editable in Premiere (likely pre-CS) at some point long ago. These ancient clips I have are wince-worthy for many reasons. But they are part of my personal history and I don't want to lose them. This community ROCKS. Web 2.0 in action here, folks. I hope to pay it back/forward one day. Thanks again, gentlemen!