24fps vs 60fps conformed to 24 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: 24fps vs 60fps conformed to 24

Jon's right on all counts (of course ;-). I'll just add that in your example, the judder is most noticeable because of the high contrast vertical elements in the frame. That near black on white edge will always exhibit more judder than something with lower contrast. And to reiterate what Jon said.. It's a game of understanding all the things that cause/hide judder, and then using that knowledge to get the picture you want. (My favorite "judder by a top director" moment comes in Punch Drunk Love when Adam swindler is frantically buying up pudding cups at a supermarket to earn travel miles. There's a shot in that sequence where the dp must have been shaking his head "no" while Paul Thomas Anderson screamed "yes, yes.. Yes!".
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #17
Tourist

The difference between 24 FPS and 60 FPS is, 24 frames per second which is a film standard. 60 FPS means 60 fields per second which is generally a TV standard. In general a TV frame is made up of two fields, 60 fields per second equals’ 29.97 frames per second. 60 fields per second is HD TV / 1080i i.e. 1080 lines interlaced, In a Television frames are painted twice, one is odd number and the other is even number called interlaced scanning.

example for 29.97, HDTV quality :
Vinay Vallabhaneni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:18 AM   #18
Trustee

Vinay, There are cameras which can shoot 1080 60P (Progressive) not just 1080 60i (Interlace) for what it is worth.You are correct it is not really a standard frame rate in the Television spec. But that isn't stopping manufacturers from recording it.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion