DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   HD faillure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/529306-hd-faillure.html)

Noa Put August 5th, 2015 01:09 AM

HD faillure

I was shitting bricks this morning when I wanted to open a project in Edius and I got the report the project was missing. It started a few days ago with a file from my dr40 that was offline in Edius, when I checked the folder on my drive I got an errormessage and I was unable to open it anymore or access the files. I replaced that folder from my backup drive but I was unable to delete the original folder.

Today Edius said the entire project was missing so I check my drive and see that the folder containing all data is present but when I want to open it I get the same message but this time it concerns all files of that project which was around 100gb! All other files on that drive where accessible, it was just this one project.

I restarted my pc hoping that might solve anything and some windowsutility started up to check on drive consistency and it wanted to check the drive that was causing me problems, when it was done I saw a lot of fixed errors but since the text was appearing and disappearing so fast it was difficult to read it all, one thing I could see was that the volumebitmap was repaired?

After that the pc restarted and now I can access all files again from the folder on that drive. Might this be the first signs of a failing drive? It is a 2TB WD black which is 3 years old.

Chris Harding August 5th, 2015 02:04 AM

Re: HD faillure

Hey Noa

That sends shivers down your spine but at least you have a backup! I know it's a silly question but have you done a full scan of the drive for viruses and suchlike?? I have had malware in the past that played absolute havoc with my computer and even disabled my anti-virus!!! It might be worth starting up in safe mode so any add on software gets disabled and see what happens??

I find that WD drives are fantastic ..in fact I have an old XP machine which I start up now and again and the 1TB WD drive in that is close to 14 years old!!! I actually did some Visual Basic programming on it last week for a client that I haven't heard from for many years and it worked well!!

Also if you go onto the WD website they also have some of their own diagnostic software you can download and test your drive with!

Chris

Noa Put August 5th, 2015 02:32 AM

I had reinstalled my pc a week ago because i got edius 8 and thought it was time to do a fresh install anyway, so not sure where this now came from. It's also weird only this one project was affected and that disc contained a lot more and all of those opened perfectly.

edit: One thing that might have caused it now I think about it, the project I opened had been opened before I reinstalled the pc in Edius 7 and I had made some minor editing changes, I know they always say to finish a project before you update a NLE but because I just started the edit I didn't think much of it so that might have been teh problem, not sure. I"m starting a new project now just to be sure and if it happens again I"ll have to move the files to another drive and see what happens then.

Noa Put August 6th, 2015 09:00 AM

I think it's a problem with the harddrive, at startup this morning the pc wanted to check that same drive again for errors and this time I saw a list of alot of errors being repaired. I have moved my edit data to another drive and as soon as time allows I will clear the affected drive and have a WD utility program check for drive health.