Travel storage hyperdrive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Trustee

Travel storage hyperdrive?

Will be travelling for 6 weeks with lots of 4k video and photo. Whilst I have a lot of cards I would like to transfer to some type of drive. I will have no laptop and was wondering is there anything out there that will allow me to transfer from my cards to a device. I presume the device would need to be charged electrically to work. Any advice welcome. Cheers steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Travel storage hyperdrive?

There was a gizmo that would copy CF cards to some device - hard drive or iPod or something - but it never really got much momentum.

With laptops in the $160 range:

http://smile.amazon.com/Acer-Chromeb...dp/B00MMLV7VQ/

I'd find it hard to believe there is something both cheaper and more capable.

I'd be more concerned with number of iterations of data you'll have (at a minimum keep the cards, have two external hard drives each with backups, mail one home halfway through).
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Mike, HDD backup and keep the SD cards also. I always bring 2-4 external hard drives in addition to archiving the SD cards for at least the duration of the trip.

Depending on the type of camera you're using you might be able to backup directly to a USB hard drive. Most Sonys come with the adapter cable to do that, but speeds are limited to USB 2.0. The Western Digital my passport wireless might work for you, you'll still need power but a couple of them would probably work.

Good luck with your adventure.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I have had good luck with these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813172-REG/LaCie_301556_Rugged_Mini_Portable_Hard.html
But as said above you will need compatibility.

More information? Will you have power? No lap top? etc?

Steve
Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

You don't state what type of memory card, but there is this that is battery operated and has a SD Card slot
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076399-REG/wd_wdbdaf0020bbk_nesn_2tb_my_passport_wireless.html
And a whole category here:
Wireless Storage | B&H Photo Video
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:14 PM   #6
Trustee

Perhaps you guys are braver than me (or know something I don't) but there is no way you would find me copying dozens of cards with identical folder structure and file names to a single device with no way to verify the files actually got there (but for a blinking green light), nor a way to verify that \DCIM\IMG_0001.jpg didn't get overwritten by the exact same file name the very next copy.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:45 AM   #7
Major Player

My Nexto device creates a unique folder each time I insert a card for download, so it wouldn't be over-writing anything previously downloaded. Also, it has an option for download with data verification, as well as a screen to let me see that my video or photos are saved before I reformat the cards. I may have to resort to a mini-laptop with XQD cards, but for my CF cards, the Nexto was extremely reliable, and I liked all the power options it has, including AA batts.

Would help to know what camera, media type the OP is using.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion