Splitting large video files without rendering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 7th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Splitting large video files without rendering?

I have about 30 video files from a conversion project. They are all 6-8 gb in size and I need to split then to file sizes under 4 gb. Lets say I wanted to simply cut them all in half. Is there any tool that does this without re-rendering? I have plenty of NLE choices but was hoping to find something that may allow me to do this faster.

Thanks all.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Splitting large video files without rendering?

What's the video format, if I may ask ?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Just a plain SD MPG file
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Have no direct experience to recommend, but if you Google "video file splitter" you'll find a bunch of offerings, some are freeware....this site has some reviews that may help you: http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ideo-files.htm

This program sounds like the kind of thing you are looking for, akthough I have no experience with it: http://www.boilsoft.com/videosplitter/ There is a free trial download.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; December 8th, 2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #5
Major Player

I was hoping you'd say DV or another AVI format.

The thing about MPEG-2 is that the cut has to be made on I-frames, and even then there can be issues - a lot depends on the GOP structure (Open vs Closed).
If you don't mind scrubbing through the footage to set cut points, your best bet (for freeware) is probably AVIDemux:

Avidemux - Main Page

Here are the sections of the guide on cutting:

using:cutting [Avidemux]

using:cutting_mpeg_files [Avidemux]

If that doesn't work for you, I could ask around on some of the forums I frequent. A bit too late tonight though....the wee hours here. In which case it would be helpful to know how/with what the MPEG2 files were encoded, and ideally the encoding settings and file extension - MPEG, TS, M2T etc. Otherwise, you could get the video file information with MediaInfo:

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 8th, 2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Would ffmpeg work?

FFmpeg: How to split video efficiently? - Stack Overflow
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Major Player

That ffmpeg command is for AVI, which is straightforward. There are ways to go about it with ffmpeg but I figured that anyone who knows how to use ffmpeg wouldn't be asking the question and I got the sense that Darryn was looking for an easy to use tool with a GUI. AVIDemux itself uses elements of ffmpeg (libavcodec).

But, like I said, it would helpful to know a bit more about the mpeg2 source to suggest the right tool for the job. A number of the video cutters/splitters listed on the site Battle linked to, for example, purport to do 'smart cutting' of mpeg-2 and h264 streams - 'smart' implying that these tools are able to analyze the GOP structure around a cut and/or splice and re-encode only those frames necessary to maintain GOP continuity, but some do it rather better than others....and some, from my experience, are liable to make a hash (sic "hack") of it. Cutting to produce file segments that are (hopefully) playable (with audio insync) is one thing - ensuring that they can be joined again or used for further editing/transcoding is another.

Of those I have tried in the past, my personal recommendation would be Pegasys (TMPGenc) Smart Renderer 4. I used to use it for basic cut editing when I was shooting HDV. But it's not free, and the trial version will place a water-mark on the re-encoded frames:

Best MPEG Video Editor Software | TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 8th, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Aha, yes, here's a tool that might be just the ticket - DGSplit - a GUI binary file splitter that works on arbitrarily large files.

You can find it here, under Tools and Utilities:

My Tools and Utilities

Just tried it with an HD MPEG2 clip that I had to hand and it worked fine and it was created back in the SD era so it should work equally well with your SD MPEG2 files. Simple ,standalone GUI and you can specify whatever split size you want. All of Donald Graft's (Neuron2) tools are top notch.

Those (AVIDemux, DGSplit) are the best suggestions I can make without further information on the source MPEG2 files.
Old December 9th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #9
Major Player

I guess a solution was found ?
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Sorry guys, was not getting emails. I found the easiest solution...Double Layer DVD's :)
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Major Player

Well ya didn't say it was for storage. 30 Double-Layer DVD's ; that's a lot of burnin'

Still think the DGSplit tool would have worked for you though.......then it would have been just 60 x SL DVD's

Sheeesh

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 11th, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll View Post
...... I found the easiest solution...Double Layer DVD's :)
Good luck with getting those to work reliably! ....

If you really want to store long term on 'burnt' discs then I agree with Bryan's suggestion of splitting and using single layer DVDs. And use good quality blanks.

But based on my own experience of failing 'burnt' DVDs only a few years old, I would think twice about using optical discs for reliable long term storage. (Commercial pressed discs seem OK though)

Add to that the likelihood of optical disc players going the same way as VHS, DV and audio cassette players - and in the not too distant future - I would think HDD, solid state or cloud storage is a more 'future proof' option for archiving your mpg2 files..
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #13
Trustee

I looked very briefly at the DGSplit software and split a file with it.

It seems like a useful tool.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious in the list, but does he also have a binary file joiner to put the parts back together later on?

What software do you recommend as a safe download to rejoin the parts?

I use MTS File Joiner to combine segmented .MTS files from long video recordings so I'm familiar with the basic process but what would you recommend for other file types?

EDIT: I downloaded a generic binary file joiner and it seems to work fine to put the pieces back together.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; December 12th, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
I looked very briefly at the DGSplit software and split a file with it.

It seems like a useful tool.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious in the list, but does he also have a binary file joiner to put the parts back together later on?

What software do you recommend as a safe download to rejoin the parts?

I use MTS File Joiner to combine segmented .MTS files from long video recordings so I'm familiar with the basic process but what would you recommend for other file types?

EDIT: I downloaded a generic binary file joiner and it seems to work fine to put the pieces back together.
Glad you found a solution that works. I don't profess to be an expert in this area, and it's been a while since I worked with MPEG-2.

I was going to suggest AVIDemux again, but having just tested it with a couple of DV>MPEG2 transcodes that I had archived, I encountered some issues when it came to re-joining multiple (100-150 Mb size) segments created with DGSplit. I was thinking to raise the subject on the authors (Donald Graft) video tools support forum to see what he suggests. I likewise could not see a tool for re-joining cut segments on his Tools & Utilities webpage.

On the other hand, TMPGenc SmartRenderer 4, which I mentioned above, was able to join the segments without any problem.

What was the binary file joiner that you sourced, out of interest?
Old December 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #15
Trustee

I admit I only tried splitting and rejoining a large .WAV file because that was all I needed to work on at the moment,

I didn't try rejoining more complex video files.

I used the file from here:
File Joiner - Easy .001 Joiner

It didn't seem to cause any problems with my computer, but I don't make any guarantee for it. Use caution as you would for any download.

Since the joiner software downloaded as a .RAR file I also needed a free extractor and used the Free RAR Extract Frog from Philipp Winterberg.
Philipp Winterberg - Downloads: Freeware, Screensaver, Tools, Wallpaper, Source Codes...
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion