Camera that outputs mirrored image over HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 14th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Camera that outputs mirrored image over HDMI

As the title states I am looking for a relatively inexpensive video camera that will output a mirrored/reversed image through HDMI. The only other must have feature is full manual control - over white balance, exposure, focus.

Certain Canon cameras do have this such as the cinema line and the XF series - Canon calls this feature "Scan Reverse". But we don't need all of the other features these cameras have, and as we need to buy a bunch of them, cost is an issue. We are currently using a C-300 for our tests - but need to find something else once we get going.

The big problem is that this feature is not important enough to list on spec sheets, etc., so I have been going through camera manuals to try and find this feature, which is time consuming.

Please let me know if you own or know of a currently available camera that shoots video with the above specs.

Thanks.
Phil Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Camera that outputs mirrored image over HDMI

Have you looked at inexpensive external devices that will mirror (reverse) the HDMI signal?

I've never used one, but your question caused me to search these items to use in a mirrored teleprompter system so any generic HDMI monitor could be used with a mirror teleprompter while the operator watches the regular display screen during prompting.

These are available for less than $100 and would allow you to use any camera that can satisfy your other requirement of full manual control.

Since the term "mirror" is used in two different ways when talking about sending out video to a second monitor, careful searching for these devices is required to actually find ones that will reverse the image instead of just duplicating or extending the original display to additional monitors.

I found one on Amazon from E-More, but as I said I have no actual experience with the device.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Camera that outputs mirrored image over HDMI

You need the Decimator MD-HX. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091826-REG/decimator_dd_hx_hdmi_sdi_cross_converter_with.html
It has an internal scaler that can flip the image for both SDI and HDMI sources. (with the recent update to the firmware, which all new ones come with)

Don't trust the Amazon cheapo boxes. Those are single function with the lowest quality components and weird restrictions and quirks that will CERTAINLY not work for a professional broadcast environment.

Unfortunately, Full manual control is but a blessing in the consumer world. You may be better off getting a Marshall SDI camera head with a manual lens, passing through the MD-HX.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion