DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Bike documentary, what equip, what bike? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/530958-bike-documentary-what-equip-what-bike.html)

Tim Paynter January 23rd, 2016 08:30 AM

Bike documentary, what equip, what bike?

I am trying out to be a #beablackburnranger2016 and ride from Canada to Mexico. You can bet I will want to make a mini-doc out of the adventure. What kind of equipment do you think I need (travel light, light light with not much power);

Here is my entry video:

We used go-pro cams for most of the original shots, plus a small Sony a-5 for a few shots. None of the video is at the quality I want it to be, but we had huge weight trade-off's and even more, bulk problems. A super light tripod would help a lot...

Looking to do the next one in HD or 4K...

I double posted this, would be happy for an admin to delete the other one...

I was thinking about the X70 but am concerned about weight and flexibility/durability in the rain....

John Nantz January 23rd, 2016 12:49 PM

Re: Bike documentary, what equip, what bike?

What do you have for a kit now?

Ewa-Marine Rain or Video Cape for the cam
Sony FDR-AX53 cam with the B.O.SS stabilizer (Due to be released. Don’t leave Vancouver without it)

Lots of fog and damp air along the coast from the Canadian border to at least Santa Cruz or Monterey so mic wind protection might not work as well.

Comment: Don’t know why the Pacific Crest Trail runs from Port Townsend and down to Shelton because that’s all inland. It’ shoulda’ run via Forks and Neah Bay, or at least via Shelton then over to Aberdeen and down to Oregon. As it is, there really is no Pacific Coast Trail route” in Washington state. Because of that you’re all missing out on some great fog experience.

Also, the part from Port Townsend down to Shelton isn’t the most biker friendly part because of narrow shoulders. Yellow Ortlieb panniers and very bright flashing lights are popular here. Many Seattle area commuters also have a bright flashing light on the back of their helmet.

Looks like to good project. Definitely easier than the Pacific Crest trail.

Why do so many people start at the Canadian border and ride to Mexico, because it’s all downhill???

Tim Paynter January 23rd, 2016 12:49 PM

Hi guys, I am getting a lot of looks, but not much advice. It took a lot of work to shoot the video posted. All of the work was handheld. I am thinking better cams and some basic equipment would take me a lot farther in my quest to shoot a travel video. Also, a stabilization device might be of use.

The problem is weight. We carry it all with us, so we have to be very careful what we pack.

I would love to hear the advice of steady hands who have shot this kind of video, or who might like to and have ideas for me.

Thanks,

Tim

Jim Michael January 23rd, 2016 01:21 PM

The NX70U has a form factor similar to the X70 and is water/dust resistant (so long as the XLR features aren't in use, although it's not 4k. A firmware upgrade resolved the zoom speed complaints.

Matt Sharp January 23rd, 2016 10:37 PM

Another vote for the NX70U (with separate audio). I'd definitely toss a few GoPros on the bike.

It would be helpful to know who is shooting the video. Is it all you as you ride? Do you have a crew following in a vehicle and can carry more stuff?

Tim Paynter January 24th, 2016 03:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

1. This is the Pacific Coast Route from the Adventure Cycling Association, not the Pacific Crest Route which would be an incredible challenge, but probably doable.

2. My video kit now is abysmal, a PD 170, some go-pro and a few experimental bullet cams. Studio lights won't pack for sure so not worth mentioning. The radio station cams are not mine so not entitled to take them.

3. Wish I had the budget for a chase crew, this will take about 3 months to ride 1,840 miles. My riding buddy and I will do all the shooting although we have considered bringing a videographer with us. Won't edit till I can get back to a hard computer.

4. I have heard bad things about the NX70u, not really water-proof some say, others say the video quality absolutely sucks. It is a pretty heavy camera, as well. Maybe someone can dispel this information.

5. We start in Seattle (actually Vancouver) because of the seasons, and the traffic on the route (esp. Oregon) is said to become horrific, maybe deadly, later in the season.

I hate cold.

Tim Paynter January 24th, 2016 03:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.

1. This is the Pacific Coast Route from the Adventure Cycling Association, not the Pacific Crest Route which would be an incredible challenge, but probably doable.

2. My video kit now is abysmal, a PD 170, some go-pro and a few experimental bullet cams. Studio lights won't pack for sure so not worth mentioning. The radio station cams are not mine so not entitled to take them.

3. Wish I had the budget for a chase crew, this will take about 3 months to ride 1,840 miles. My riding buddy and I will do all the shooting although we have considered bringing a videographer with us. Won't edit till I can get back to a hard computer.

4. I have heard bad things about the NX70u, not really water-proof some say, others say the video quality absolutely sucks. It is a pretty heavy camera, as well. Maybe someone can dispel this information.

5. We start in Seattle (actually Vancouver) because of the seasons, and the traffic on the route (esp. Oregon) is said to become horrific, maybe deadly, later in the season.

I hate cold.

Noa Put January 24th, 2016 03:56 AM

I would take a gh4 with a 12-35mm lens with me, it's splash- and dust-proof but if you plan on shooting in pouring rain you are better off with a gopro 4 black in a waterproof casing. The gh4 has exceptional battery life, is small and light and the lens is stabilized. Or you might get a olympus em1 if you want exceptional stabilization while shooting with any lens, IQ is still very decent, it's also t's splash- and dust-proof with the right lens but not sure about batterylife.

Tim Paynter January 24th, 2016 04:10 AM

Not sure why I keep ending up with double posts. I tried to edit the second twice and gave up after typing it twice and neither taking.

John's comment about the narrow shoulder is concerning. The travel literature does not say anything about narrow shoulders. We found in the test footage, 90 percent of the drivers were very mindful. It is the one guy in 10 with a bad day driving a motor home or truck that causes the close calls. You only need to wrestle a vehicle once to lose.

The moisture sounds like it is going to be a bigger problem than I thought.

I am looking for super light, weather resistant, super high quality output, easy to use, and for a great price. A second thought is to buy older stuff knowing this will probably be the last it is used, but reliability and weight are big issues. I want the world on a platter, I know there will have to be tradeoffs.

Wow, have not even thought about permits...

Tim Paynter January 24th, 2016 04:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Noa. I had bad luck with my last Olympus so probably won't go back to it. The GH4 sounds attractive. I thought you were looking at a pansonic model that promised the world?

Thanks,

Tim

Noa Put January 24th, 2016 04:20 AM

What olympus model was that?

Tim Paynter January 24th, 2016 04:40 AM

Noa, I had the PE1, which did o.k. on shots, but the top button popped off. It was going to cost to much to fix it, so I have it in a nice box somewhere. I had hoped for better service and a more reasonable price.

Paul Wood January 24th, 2016 04:46 AM

I'll post on behalf of the NX70 - whilst I haven't filmed in a tank of water, I have plenty of times in the rain, and it does what it says on the tin - the XLR audio unit needs to be removed, as its is not waterproof, and as for video quality check out the user group on Vimeo ( https://vimeo.com/groups/nx70 ) - there is a user who films canoe trips in Brazil that is worth checking out.

It also runs all day on the bigger battery, and I use all the time in 50p, so reasonable slo mo is easy to achieve.

Noa Put January 24th, 2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Paynter (Post 1907503)
Noa, I had the PE1

I just think you can't judge the overall quality of an entire brand based on a experience of just one small pocket camera :) The em1 is a professional camerabody and nothing like the pe1 you had, just saying.

If you want ease of use then I also place another vote for the nx70, it's rain proof which is not the same as splash proof like a dslr, the nx70 can take pouring rain and IQ should be more then sifficient for your needs.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 24th, 2016 07:24 AM

Tim,
I think that you should seriously consider looking at the DJI Osmo for some of your travelling shots. Its stabilisation is superb. You might even find it useful for landscape shots as well, without the need for a tripod - it's as good as that.
Ok, so it's not a wet-weather camera like the GoPro, but used judiciously, it can be a winner...AND it shoots great 4K!