Amazing toughness of SD Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Amazing toughness of SD Cards

This has happened to me twice which I am embarrassed to admit:

I accidentally ran an old 16gig Transcend brand SD card (with the generic plastic case) thru the clothes washer and dryer in my apartment building and found the thing still functions properly. Amazing!

I usually keep the second card in the coin pocket of my jeans and I forget to remove it before laundry day.

Thank goodness for the case, but I marvel at how durable these things can be.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Amazing toughness of SD Cards

I hope you won't be shooting anything important using that card ...

It may appear to be fine but I would bet it will malfunction on you once it heats up from intensive use.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Trustee

I have had cards survive stuff like that, but I have had inconsequential things kill sd cards. When one of mine survives something traumatic, I marvel at it, then retire it to the trash can.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
This has happened to me twice which I am embarrassed to admit:

I accidentally ran an old 16gig Transcend brand SD card (with the generic plastic case) thru the clothes washer and dryer in my apartment building and found the thing still functions properly. Amazing!

I usually keep the second card in the coin pocket of my jeans and I forget to remove it before laundry day.

Thank goodness for the case, but I marvel at how durable these things can be.
Time to update that washing machine :)
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I know this isn't an SD card, but back around 1999 or so, I lost a memory card for my playstation. I looked everywhere for the thing and I could not find it at all. Eventually I forgot about it and just moved on. About 5 months later I was walking to a friends house and happened to look down and saw my memory card stuck in the mud! I couldn't believe it. I must have dropped it on the way to his house one day. It had been outside an entire winter under snow and mud and I still somehow found it. I assumed it didn't work but I went home and cleaned it off, but as sometimes happens with teenagers, I got distracted and was on to something else and put the memory card back in my pocket. Later that night, my mom washed those jeans with the memory card in them. At this point, I assumed that the memory card was dead for sure, but as you can guess, when I put the memory card in the playstation the next day, it worked perfectly. Oddly enough it wasn't even a Sony brand memory card. It was some third party company that I can't even remember.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Major Player

My washer and dryer still use fabric softener and static sheets. Sounds like I need to upgrade!

Seriously though, glad it still works, though I'd be hesitant to use that particular card on anything important. Pretty cheap to replace.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion