DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   best point and shoot in low light for video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/531204-best-point-shoot-low-light-video.html)

Daren King February 18th, 2016 10:33 PM

best point and shoot in low light for video

I currently shoot video with a Canon Vixia G30. I love the camera and its works perfectly for me. I shoot a lot of run and gun footage at night and it works very well in low light. However, I would love to get something smaller like a point and shoot. I would NEED it to be equal or better in low light though.
Any suggestions ? Price point can be up to $1200

Chris Harding February 19th, 2016 04:37 AM

Re: best point and shoot in low light for video

Sheesh Daren
Are you serious? The G30 is tiny enough already ..you might as well look at action cams if you really need smaller! My Point and Shoots are Panasonic FZ1000's and they are significantly bigger than your G30! but that have excellent features and also 4K video.

Maybe the Gopro Black might be OK for you ? I use a pair of SJCAM action cams and they are quite good in low light but never as good as my bridge cameras ..it's hard to build a fast lens and big sensor into a ting PS body I would think!

Noa Put February 19th, 2016 04:56 AM

I thought the g30 is a smaller point and shoot camera :) What size camera are you expecting?

Christopher Young February 19th, 2016 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm very happy with the Sony RX-100 IV.

The other night I was on the way back from a streaming media shoot that ended about 10:30PM and Sydney was looking pretty good that evening and since there was plenty of parking at that time of night I jumped out and grabbed a few shots with the RX-100 IV using a Gorillapod SLR. A great little combo. This was just to see what it could do in low light in QFHD at 25p. All this was shot between 400 and 1600 ISO. What I did like with the settings I ended up with, after extensive dialling in on the WFM and V Scope, is that even with the light pollution in the night sky the camera was able to discern the clouds and you can even see the delineation between the tops of trees and the sky in almost total darkness.

Check it out for yourself. There are two files here, both using the same footage. One clip has NO noise reduction the other has NEAT VIDEO noise reduction.

RX100 low light

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/h334sa

RX100 low light + Neat Video

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/a9b9bk

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Noa Put February 19th, 2016 05:19 AM

Didn't think of that one, I'd say the rx100 would be a excellent choice.

Dave Baker February 19th, 2016 10:28 AM

Well I sure as heck wouldn't recommend a GoPro for low light work. Even with ProTune on and the ISO limited to 1600 it still has an extremely noisy picture.

Dave

Mark Rosenzweig February 19th, 2016 12:32 PM

I second the RX100 IV. Here is a low-light 4K test video I made (the scenes get progressively darker):

The video I uploaded underwent no out-of-camera processing not even re-compression.

Daren King February 19th, 2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1909395)
My Point and Shoots are Panasonic FZ1000's and they are significantly bigger than your G30! but that have excellent features and also 4K video.

!

I looked up the specs and my G30 is 1.98 lbs and your FZ is 1.8 lbs

Dave Blackhurst February 19th, 2016 04:34 PM

RX100M3 or M4, or an RX10M1 or M2.

The RX100 is a handy little "pocket rocket" with 4K (5 minute clip limit) or high bitrate 1080. Main limitation is the lens, since it's a pocket size monster - but with clear zoom and potentially digital, you should be able to squeeze a lot out of it. Handy if you want something far superior to a cell phone, but still very easy to take anywhere. I've owned an RX100 since the first version, which seemed terribly expensive until I tried it, I've got the M4, and it continues to be my "grab and go" for day to day use.

The RX10 has a monster lens, so not exactly pocketable, but relatively it is small, and a lot of bang for the buck... if you don't need or want 4K, the first version is available at bargain prices for what it can do. I do think the MK2 improves on the original, with the new sensor tech that is shared with the RX100M4. Because of the larger body to dissipate heat, there's no clip limit on 4K in the RX10M2.

Both those options are under your price (you could buy one of each with accessories if you go for the older versions), qualify as "P&S" but have deep manual functionality for both video and still use.

Chris Harding February 19th, 2016 06:38 PM

Hey Daren

Yes lighter but not physically smaller ...the FZ is quite bulky so it wouldn't suit you needs ..Sound like you need to go for the Sony RX100 they are pretty compact cameras and good in low light!