lightning - GH4 in vertical mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 4th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Tourist

lightning - GH4 in vertical mode?

The summer lightning season is with us in the Alps and I would like to film clean footage of lightning bolts in video. By clean I mean void of the negative effect that a rolling shutter has on lightning shots, namely individual frames half exposed in either the top or bottom half depending on when the bolt occurs.
Most bolts trace a vertical path through the sky to the Earth. Which led me to wonder whether I could orientate my Panasonic GH4 in the vertical position to record a whole vertical strike. I`d only need HD not 4k, so I could crop into the image. Do you think this would work? Anyone ever tried this?
Thanks
Ian
Ian Swarbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: lightning - GH4 in vertical mode?

Hi Ian,

This sounds like you are ultimately preparing for a neat experiment. I don't think it will render clean footage, but maybe in your area better footage. In my area, we have a lot of heat during our monsoon storm season. The lightening bolts streak across the sky almost horizontal, then angle toward the ground slightly and when about the third way from the ground, auger vertically, or in a diagonal slice to the ground (although I have been told lightening doesn't strike down it strikes up!!). But what would I know, my camera has a global shutter. I do have a wannabe DSLR with a CMOS/rolling shutter, but for anything like lightening or propellers I would use my camcorder with the CCD/global shutter.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say and how your experiment turns out. In the mean time maybe you could do some preliminary test with a small model airplane propeller. Maybe I'll do that!?!?!

UPDATE: Oops, propeller is not a good idea, it rotates!! Maybe something else, maybe a set of venetian blinds!

Last edited by George Dean; June 4th, 2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Update and spelling
George Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I didn't have a venetian blind, but I did have a shed with vertical lines in the siding, that I previous did some rolling shutter test and as suspected, hold camera in portrait eliminated most all of the wobble, and holding the camera at various diagonal positions representing a clock, to simulate lightening striking diagonally got better results closer to portrait orientation than landscape orientation. But, I bet Ian you have already done that little experiment and wanted someone who has actually done it with lightening! I'm of no help, the forecast here is clear blue sunshine for the next 10 days.

Maybe going vertical with 4K cameras to reduce distortion of the rolling shutter when they make fast pans, etc. is common when they are producing in HD.
Old June 5th, 2016, 01:13 AM   #4
Tourist

Hi George,
I`ve done no experiments at all. It was just me hypothesizing. But I`ll get a chance to test it soon; very unsettled weather here at the moment. I`ll report back.
Ian Swarbrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion