New and need help for son with Autism - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 24th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Re: New and need help for son with Autism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Another thought for editing: It can be nice to have two monitors. One monitor shows the controls while the other shows full screen video.

In Vegas, this is quite easy to set up. (I've used After Effects for years and still can't figure out how to configure the video without a border.) Once the setup is done, just click the monitor icon and the video will show full screen on the second monitor. (That said, I'm using Vegas Pro. I'm not sure if Studio supports this.)

Vegas doesn't require a second monitor. It allows an area of the editing surface to show the editing result.Personally, I often just use the smaller window. However, when you want to see details, or how big the text will look, the larger monitor is excellent. The big advantage, however, is when you collaborate. Having a second monitor allows friends, colleagues, and onlookers to see the video in progress. For you and your son working together, I think that this would be very rewarding. It might help open up his awareness towards sharing the video, rather than editing in his own little world.

In this situation, the main monitor can be of any resolution and quality. The video monitor, however, should have good quality, be 16x9 and have HD (or UHD) resolution. In my case, I use a 32-inch TV as my video monitor. That said, some TVs have strange pixel structures that look bad up close or with computer text. I'm using a "gaming TV" that handles computer graphics cleanly.
Jon

Thank you for all the great information about Vegas in these three posts. Am feeling a little under the weather tonight, so I just skimmed them, but there is a lot there. When I am feeling better tomorrow, I will read them more for content, and get back to you.

Thank you very much !

Michael
Michael L. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #152
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Magix bought Vegas earlier this year and still have the offer to buy Vegas 13 and get Vegas 14 free. Offer is available to end of August. Exclusive welcome offer. This is the full version rather than Movie Studio too and comes with the full version of DVD Architect 6.0 for DVD and Bluray authoring. I was on Vegas 12 and have taken this offer as it is a good deal. Even if you do this and get Studio for $79 the total is a lot less than almost all the other NLE's you may look at and a really good DVD authoring package.

I use EDIUS 8 WG for video most of the time but always use Vegas for audio and DVDArchitect for disc authoring. As Jon has said it is easy to work with and can be used simply or as complicated as you wish.

Ron Evans
Ron

Thank you for the information. As I mentioned to Jon, not feeling my best tonight. Will discuss further when I am feeling better.

Thanks very much !

Michael
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #153
Regular Crew

Brian

Thank you for posting this comparison. What you say is true, and I have a lot of learning and research to do.

I am going to buy a new computer robust enough to work with 4K files. I just have to find the time to go shopping, or maybe have one built.

Thank you for your great responses and the information they contain.

Michael
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #154
Inner Circle

Quote:
I am going to buy a new computer robust enough to work with 4K files
Actually, you first need to decide what NLE you will be using and build your computer around that. Every NLE has different requirements, some might require a very powerful graphicscard and others don't even need a graphics card like Edius.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #155
Inner Circle

The computer and editing software is definitely another part of the total equation. I'm another Vegas user, still on the fence on the 13-14 upgrade to my v12...

I've also been looking at DaVinci Resolve, as it's been mentioned on DVi a few times, and it's apparently free with an extensive feature set...

You can build a decently powerful desktop machine, or a higher end laptop can be an option. There are some gaming laptops that have 4K screens that would do the trick, I've got a cheap Seiki 4K TV for my "monitor" when at the desktop. You can put together a capable system for a reasonable price if you're careful.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #156
Major Player

hi, I'd like to add my ¢2 if I may, first off it's a huge challenge for both you and your son and I wish you well. My ten year old grandnephew has aspergers, so I can relate on some level to the challenge you face.
I'd also like to note how great this community is in offering the advice encouragement etc.

One of the things that strikes me, is that you will have to learn this subject which is totally new to you, there are two distinct areas to learn, one is the technical side the other is the creative angle, as others have said start shooting and the questions will come! but you have to learn and understand every single aspect of this subject prior to teaching anyone else, I hope you have allowed some time to accomplish this. It has taken me a long while to learn everything I need and indeed I'm still Iearning.
I cant offer much advice in the way you might go about this learning curve, but i'm sure there are others here that will.

I guess one of the first things you have to do, is consider your gear list before you start to learn anything. I realise that most of these have been discussed, but just to gather it all in one place.
So keeping your budget in mind (this can get very expensive fast!), I think you need to consider and make decisions on some or all of the following:
1. Cameras - Main/backup B roll cam. I think you should think of some of the cheaper entry level
cams because your budget must allow for other pieces of equipment besides just a camera.
a. Form Factor - DSLR Video/ Camcorder. Fixed lens/ Interchangeable.
Your Main Cam ideally should match up with the B-Roll as much as possible, saves a lot
on colour matching in post.
b. For documentary style shooting (leaving out interchangeable lens cams) in no particular order;
(1) Sony DSC-RX10M mark II/III
(2) Canon XC10 4K/
(3) Sony PXW-X70 XDCAM/ FDR-AX100
(4) Canon 70D/ 80D
2. Storage cards for cameras - obviously you'll need cards and extra cards for each cam.
3. Extra batteries so you don't run out in the field.
4. Camera monitor I have a Lilliput 663/O/P 7" monitor it's ok, I find it a bit fiddley to use.
5. Audio Solutions
a. Rode Video Mic
b. Boom pole kit
c. Deadcat (for wind noise reduction - essential for outdoor scenes)
d. Headphones
6. Lighting There may be times that you want to add light on location i.e. when the subject is backlit by the sun or very bright sky or late into the evening
a. Light Reflector/ Dimmable High Power Panel LED Video Light
b. Light stands
7. Stabilisation system - Tripod / 3-Axis Stabilised Handheld Gimbal System. If a tripod, along with
a few quick release plates, I would say any of these manufacturers;
a. Libec
b. Manfrotto
c. Vinten
d. Sirui
e. Sachtler
8. Lanc system for the tripod (control Zoom and other functions from the panhandle)
9. Slider
10. Card reader
11. Software programs
a. Adobe Premiere Pro CC Current one is 2015.3. CS 6 is still available.
b. Vegas
c. Movie Studio Pro - got this free with the AX-100 couldn't get used to it at all.
d. Another free program is Davinci Resolve 12.5 from Blackmagic Design.
e. DVD Authoring program.
f. Backing track creation software/Subscription to Royalty Free music.
12. Computer
a. Desktop computer with a good graphics card Nvidea GeForce GTX 950/970 4Gb. At least 16
Gb RAM recommended 24 Gb. Intel Core i7 6700K or better. SSD OS drive and at least 4 TB
internal. (4K files are big) All of this depends on the system requirements of the software you
decide on getting.
b. Monitor either a two monitor setup something like one 27" and secondary one can be smaller
or one big monitor say a 30"/42".Choose IPS if possible and check on the ports that the
monitor has. LG, Samsung, Dell have a good line of monitors.
13. Storage solutions;
a. Eventually you'll have to archive footage and move it off the main machine.
b. Cloud storage
14. Cases/Bags to carry all the stuff around!
15. Operator Table/ Desk/Chair (very important)
16. Field guides, tutorials etc.

Theres probably lots I've left out but hopefully this might provide a little context to what you need to have, to help towards achieving the task.

Sorry for the long post.

best of luck and best wishes

R
Old August 25th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #157
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Magix bought Vegas earlier this year and still have the offer to buy Vegas 13 and get Vegas 14 free. Offer is available to end of August. Exclusive welcome offer. This is the full version rather than Movie Studio too and comes with the full version of DVD Architect 6.0 for DVD and Bluray authoring. I was on Vegas 12 and have taken this offer as it is a good deal. Even if you do this and get Studio for $79 the total is a lot less than almost all the other NLE's you may look at and a really good DVD authoring package.

I use EDIUS 8 WG for video most of the time but always use Vegas for audio and DVDArchitect for disc authoring. As Jon has said it is easy to work with and can be used simply or as complicated as you wish.

Ron Evans
One point not yet made is that with Vegas, you can run several instances at the same time.

I am usually able to run 3, if I launch a 4th, things seem to slow down.

It's probably a question of how much RAM is in a PC.
Karl Walter Keirstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #158
Inner Circle

I have a family member who's going through the same thing, trying to find his son, who has some form of aspergers/autism, a job but with no luck. It's hard enough for a kid fresh out of school to find a job but some who can't communicate it's almost impossible.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #159
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
The computer and editing software is definitely another part of the total equation. I'm another Vegas user, still on the fence on the 13-14 upgrade to my v12...

I've also been looking at DaVinci Resolve, as it's been mentioned on DVi a few times, and it's apparently free with an extensive feature set...

You can build a decently powerful desktop machine, or a higher end laptop can be an option. There are some gaming laptops that have 4K screens that would do the trick, I've got a cheap Seiki 4K TV for my "monitor" when at the desktop. You can put together a capable system for a reasonable price if you're careful.
Dave

Thank you for the reply, and the words of wisdom. I would have to say I am leaning toward Vegas after the positive testimonials from yourself Jon, Ron, Walter and others. What is the shared opinion of Power Director ?

Thanks

Michael
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #160
Regular Crew

Rob

Thank you for the reply, and all the information it contains. Thank you for the well wishes too ! I hope your grandnephew is doing well, and when he needs help, I hope he is able to find a place just as fantastic as I have here, to get that help.

As far as the task ahead, it will be a challenge, no doubt about that. As carefully as I can, will break each step into small "lesson plans" and teach each plan to mastery, with appropriate positive reinforcement. Of course that only addresses my teaching Mackenzie, and says nothing about my learning the subject matter, and I recognize that. I do feel I can learn what is needed (thank the fates that it is not physics, or calculus). I am, and will continue searching for a mentor, and of course I have my friends here.

Rob, that is a long list you have provided. My own is not quite that long yet, but it is getting there.

Again, thanks for this great post, and for the well wishes .

Michael
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #161
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I have a family member who's going through the same thing, trying to find his son, who has some form of aspergers/autism, a job but with no luck. It's hard enough for a kid fresh out of school to find a job but some who can't communicate it's almost impossible.
Hi Pete

Thank you for the reply. I hope your family member's son with Autism Spectrum Disorder is able to accomplish great things once he gets his chance.

Besides his very high interest in the subject matter, Mackenzie is not exactly a people person, and that is why I have been proactive in trying to make this quest a reality. If he can just film his subject matter, then go home and in the course of time edit it, copy it, (hopefully we can sell it), package it, and ship it, then we will be in his comfort zone with a minimal of interpersonal communication (and what there is of that, I will take care of). As I have said before, if this does not work, I will move on to the next thing, whatever that may be.

Again, thank you for your post.

Michael
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #162
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Actually, you first need to decide what NLE you will be using and build your computer around that. Every NLE has different requirements, some might require a very powerful graphicscard and others don't even need a graphics card like Edius.
Noa

As best I can, I am going to roughly guess what my choice of an NLE maybe, and get a machine that I am confidant will handle the workload. I may get more machine than I actually need, but in this case, better to ere on the side of more capability.

I am strongly considering having a computer made instead of buying one off the shelf, and if I thought I would have the time, I would order the components and build one myself.

Michael
Old August 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #163
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L. Johnson View Post
Thank you for the reply, and the words of wisdom. I would have to say I am leaning toward Vegas after the positive testimonials from yourself Jon, Ron, Walter and others. What is the shared opinion of Power Director ?
l
Just be aware you'll get just as strong testimonials from users of their own NLE of choice. Fortunately, you can try each NLE for a trial period, so you can check them out, although the first limiter of choice will be the operating system. If you go with Windows that rules out FCP X, but if you go with Mac, the same applies to Vegas.

I've heard a few people liking Power Director, although the import options are limited, it's more a consumer NLE, than one that supports the higher end codecs used by many professionals. It really depends on the end purpose for the productions.

First question would be does he want to work with a track based editor or a non track based editor? For the latter, the only professional option is FCPX, all the others are track based.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #164
Inner Circle

Brian makes some good points about NLEs. You can download trial versions and test them out for free on your current computer(s). As mentioned, the OS decision narrows the available choices.

I would beware NLEs that are limited to the lower end of the market. A lower-end editor might be attractive at first, but you might run into limits. Changing to a different NLE can then be challenging as we always compare it to that comfortable one that we learned first.

Avid, FCP, and Premiere are probably the main pro NLEs. IMO, Avid is overkill, FCP is a good option, and Premiere is not easy to learn.

The next set includes Vegas, Edius, Resolve and possibly others. Vegas is nice in that it has an inexpensive version with an upgrade path to a pro version. I've never used Edius, but from what I read, many like it and it seems to be very capable. Resolve is quite interesting as it's used professionally and BlackMagic Design is opening it up to the masses. These may all be good choices, depending on which falls to hand most easily.

I would stay far away from iMovie, MovieMaker, and other editors that are for consumers only. They are too limiting and could be hard to leave behind, once learned. (And this is why I recommend avoiding Simple Edit Mode in Vegas.) I don't know if PowerDirector falls in this category or is in the next tier above.

Another consideration is the prospect of long-time development and support of the software. Avid, FCP, and Premiere are on solid ground. Sony just sold Vegas to Magix. Magix seems committed to it, but I don't know about their financials. BlackMagic is solid and seems committed to Resolve. Edius is now owned by Grass Valley, which is owned by Belden, so they have a broader financial base than just software editors. Sometimes companies lose interest in smaller product lines. (Ask me about Tascam's treatment of GigaStudio sometime - or others about Gibson and Opcode.) But each of these software bases seem mature enough that they can be sold and continued, rather than suffocated.

Anyway, FCP, Vegas, Edius, and Resolve would be the ones I would look at. Maybe PowerDirector is in that list as well, but I can't answer that.
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #165
Inner Circle

I would also throw Lightworks into the mix, since it's been around as long as Avid and is now supported by a company who's background is video/digital post production,kit for the broadcast industry, so it's part of a range of products.

Lightworks is used by a number of feature film editors and it's tradition is long form narrative editing for dramas and documentaries . It has a number of advanced features, some of which over the years have been taken up by other manufacturers. .
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion