DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Can I enable Quick Sync Video on this OLD PC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/532605-can-i-enable-quick-sync-video-old-pc.html)

Ervin Farkas August 28th, 2016 04:32 PM

Can I enable Quick Sync Video on this OLD PC?

I was able to follow the development of computers... until a few years ago. With the diversity nowadays, one needs to be a computer engineer to keep up.

I built this machine myself back in 2010. It served me well and it's still working perfectly fine. Most of my deliverables are MPEG2, and I edit on Edius Pro 8. Some of my clients started asking for MPEG4/H.264, and where Edius is 4-5 times faster than RT with MPEG2, it takes RT or a bit more for H.264.

My question is: Is there a Quick Sync capable graphics card that will work in this computer? I do have a decent laptop that is capable of taking advantage of Quick Sync (H.264 encoding is about 5 times faster than RT), but it would be nice to have the workstation doing the same.

I KNOW IT'S OLD, NO NEED TO RUB IT IN... just trying to get a little more out of it.

Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz
RAM: 12 GB DDR 3
GPU: don't ask... Edius didn't need anything fancy until now.

Thanks for the help,

Brian Drysdale August 29th, 2016 12:45 AM

Re: Can I enable Quick Sync Video on this OLD PC?

Don;t knock it if it's still working.

Check out the GeForce 600 series, it may be suitable, since it performs video encoding in a a similar way. Nvidia may be able to give a more precise answer,

Noa Put August 29th, 2016 12:59 AM

In short, no, quick sync will not work with a i7 920, you need a cpu with integrated graphics, my i7 4790 has that and also the new i7 6700 so getting a faster graphics card won't make any difference.
If you do a lot of colorcorrection however then a separate graphic card makes sense because since version 8.22 Edius makes use of a card for it's primary color correction filter.

Noa Put August 29th, 2016 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1920112)
Check out the GeForce 600 series, it may be suitable, since it performs video encoding in a a similar way.

Edius doesn't make use of a videocard for accelerated h.264 rendering.

Andrew Smith August 29th, 2016 01:39 AM

Something like the Matrox Compress HD might help.

See Matrox CompressHD Technical Specifications

I don't think there is direct support for Edius, but you can certainly encode a file that has been previouslyy exported out. I think. (I'm only used to functionality of Matrox stuff when combined with the Adobe software)

The really good thing about this card is that it takes on all the mp4/h264 compression grunt work, leaving your CPU alone. This is now a legacy product, but there may be others out there.

Andrew

Ervin Farkas August 29th, 2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1920115)
Edius doesn't make use of a videocard for accelerated h.264 rendering.

What do you mean Noa??? GV clearly states:

Edius Pro 8 "... supports Intel Quick Sync Video for extremely fast H.264 export".

Ron Evans August 29th, 2016 07:36 AM

QuickSync is a function of integrated GPU on some of Intel processors. So if the Intel processor you have does not have an integrated GPU it does not have Quicksync and consequently EDIUS can not use it for fast h264 export using QUicksync.

Ron Evans

Ervin Farkas August 29th, 2016 07:50 AM

Ah, OK - understood.

Would it make sense to upgrade my processor instead of upgrading the video card? What - if any - Quick Sync enabled processor would work in my old Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo?

Thanks,

Ron Evans August 29th, 2016 08:13 AM

Quicksync processor will require a new motherboard unfortunately. I would now wait until the Z200 chip set boards come out if you want to go that way and then get a Kaby Lake processor. Should come out towards the end of the year if rumors are correct.

Ron Evans