Is there a new cheap updated switcher like the Atem Television Studio? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 18th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Is there a new cheap updated switcher like the Atem Television Studio?

Hi Donald

Just for interest have you tried your system on a run of the mill i7 laptop? Can it handle a 1280x720 video stream coming from the HDMI to USB convertors? All the ones I have tried fail miserably and I really cannot see any point in having a laptop that dies if you put a 720 stream thru it at around 2.6mbps ..unless of course you are just needing a 480P stream at a very low bitrate ...Are you running your system on a desktop or laptop? With me, even a 2gb i5 struggles with a 480P broadcast and most laptops are a lot slower ..We tried an Asus i7 and it was hopeless even at 480P and 1 mbps bitrate ... Unless you pay big money for a gaming laptop of course ..which I don't have!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #32
Major Player

Josh, have you looked into cheap (sub $100) game capture boxes like this one https://amzn.com/B017UZW79E

I use a different model and have been satisfied with the results, especially with Powerpoint Slides that look as good as the original. You end up with an easy-to-overlay video file that is accurate to your recording (assuming you're not starting/stopping the camera or recorder). Great for long sessions, but I still recommend rolling a 2nd camera for sync confirmation, or when the presenter is using a laser pointer on the screen.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Oren. I did think of that in the beginning. What made me nervous is I think I couldn't find one of those boxes that had visual confirmation of what screen it was recording. Like a little LCD screen that shows it's capturing the screen correctly (as opposed to just a green light or a flashing light or something). Maybe it's silly but it made me nervous. I also wondered something you might have an answer for. If the HDMI box like the link you listed is actually screen capturing, and a lot of presenters use applications where you can see your presentation screen but also your notes for the presentation, you might have a shot of the presentation you can't use then right?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #34
Major Player

Unfortunately my laptop suffered blue screens and is back to the shop for repair. But in my test I could take two hdmi > usb converters into the laptop. Uploaded to youtube ok. But i deleted it soon after. (Who wants to see my ugly test.) I also have a Sony pxw x70 and tried to add this to the mix it can stream wifi to VLC then screen grab that into Xsplit broadcast. But that proved to much. Maybe a third converter might work. I should say that was 720p as it's still the free Xsplit at the moment.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #35
Major Player

Chris: So do you folks have more than one Broadcaster? And if so, can the computer handle 2 or 3 camrera's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Josh

As a remote camera the broadcaster can stream out a maximum of HD+ (5.2mbps) direct to the Studio Software and Studio can stream a little higher ... If you stream out at this rate on the broadcaster it handles it with ease direct to the CDN but my i72600 CPU works rather hard when given video at this rate and now and again the CPU will get to 95% but I have never lost a stream ...Unless you have something like an Alienware gaming laptop and are prepared to fork over $4000+ then a standard (even i7 laptop) simply cannot handle the incoming video ...We have tried a Toshiba with an i7 2.4 - 3.1 GHz processor and it struggles!!!!

AFAIK the studio software will accept projects right up to UHD inputs but the DVR is an MP4 at 1280x720 but still quite watchable if you download it.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Hi Oren. I did think of that in the beginning. What made me nervous is I think I couldn't find one of those boxes that had visual confirmation of what screen it was recording. Like a little LCD screen that shows it's capturing the screen correctly (as opposed to just a green light or a flashing light or something). Maybe it's silly but it made me nervous. I also wondered something you might have an answer for. If the HDMI box like the link you listed is actually screen capturing, and a lot of presenters use applications where you can see your presentation screen but also your notes for the presentation, you might have a shot of the presentation you can't use then right?
Legitimate concerns. My first choice would be to get a copy of the slidedeck (not always possible), but if there are animations, it makes my work much harder. That is where the HDMI recorder comes in, which is my new go-to option. But I still train a cheap HD camera on the screen just in case something goes wrong. Having an LCD confirmation would be nice, but typically I set them up close to the laptop. That's not the ideal location to monitor when you're at a camera position (often furthest from the presenter's laptop). It's a leap of faith, so having a backup is essential. If you're lucky, then the entire recorded presentation can simply be overlaid on the main camera's image and it all just lines up neatly.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #37
Major Player

Got it. There so inexpensive they are absolutely worth trying. Do you ever run into a situation where the screen capture shows presenter's notes and you can't use it?

Also is using the device as simple as just plugging it into the computer, and just pushing a few buttons?
Old September 18th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

The software can handle 10 remote cameras and 25 SDI inputs so it's not the incomings that tax the CPU but the outgoing stream ..We can have multiple cameras running into the software and the CPU can idle and quite a reasonable rate ...As soon as you do the broadcast, that's where the CPU usage sky rockets and when it has to work hard!! I can (for example) drop a pre-rendered video in the media section of the software that's 1920x1080 and been rendered previously at 8000 kbps and if I stream that online the CPU % climbs dramatically compared to the live camera which is coming thru the broadcaster at 2.3mbs .. Livestream suggest an i7 SixCore processor for best performance.
Old September 18th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Got it. There so inexpensive they are absolutely worth trying. Do you ever run into a situation where the screen capture shows presenter's notes and you can't use it?

Also is using the device as simple as just plugging it into the computer, and just pushing a few buttons?
The one I have really is a one-push recorder, and the only issue I had was when I forgot to format the usb drive and ran out of space....so chalk it up to a user error. Only put it through 4 or 5 shoots though...so I can't speak to the longevity or future issues that arise.
As for setup, you plug in the power, put in your USB drive (formatted, duh!), and take an HDMI in and supply an HDMI out back to the monitor or projector.
I would love a display that shows time/space remaining and some confidence inspiring notifications that it's recording at 1080 (or 720).
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #40
Major Player

Chris, awesome. That's good to know and super interesting to understand that's where the potential bottleneck is.
Old September 18th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

If you need to see how a computer or laptop will perform as a vision switcher you can open a free Livestream account (the public cannot watch it unless they are also account holders and the Studio software also has a free version for download (it does have limitations but you have full streaming facilities plus it's limited in the number of cameras) That way it's something to play with and see what your current gear can do without costing you anything. I used both the free account and free switcher options to test a bunch of laptops and desktop to see which would cope with an HD video stream ....one can even use a web cam as a temporary video source and even my action cams plug into the software via USB ..Definitely worth a play!!!
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Chris. Yeah I Livestreamed something for a client last week using my GH4 and the Black Magic Mini-Recorder. My laptop did fine, the stream said "Perfect Streaming" but it was still a little glitchy an skipped quite often. I tested the ethernet connection before and after and it was screaming fast so not sure what it was. I'm going to ping Livestream and ask them. I do like the idea of renting a Broadcaster or two though and using them to push multiple HD streams and then see if/how bad my computer chokes. Luckily I'm not asked to livestream often, but I really like that the Broadcaster can basically be used as a less expensive TeraDek. While it's may only be with Livestream servers, that's historically been the only livestream company as client as asked me to use (if they were specific at all).
Old September 19th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #43
Major Player

Oren: Couple quick question.

1. If AV at the conference isn't using HDMI to connect from computer to projector (before we put this box in between the two to capture the video contents) and using something else like Thunderboldt or something older, will the box still capture if it has it's HDMI in but doesn't have an HDMI out to pass through?

2. If the laptop doesn't have an HDMI port will using a USB to HDMI convertor and then feeding that into the recording box work?

Have you tried either? I'm obviously going to test the box extensively when I get it, but trying to determine it's possible capabilities before doing so. Especially because for the gig I'll be doing if one works, we'll be buying 4 more.
Old September 20th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #44
Major Player

I saw mentioned a few times earlier in the thread that the cameras would be shooting 1080p. Wanted to point out that many camcorders default to putting out 1080i over the HDMI port even if the camera is set internally to record 24p or 30p. Possibly 60p as well, haven't worked with many late-model camcorders. Point being that cameras do this because most/all displays are built to accept 1080i, but not all accept 1080p sources. So just wanted to bring it up that the assumption that the cameras will be outputting 1080p may not be completely correct and that needs to be considered as part of the workflow.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #45
Major Player

hey Jeff, thanks for making that clarification, I appreciate it!
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion