DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Help me learn about the different types of video cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/532816-help-me-learn-about-different-types-video-cameras.html)

Larry Johnson October 2nd, 2016 08:32 AM

Help me learn about the different types of video cameras

I'm in the process of learning about video cameras. Trying to educate myself about all the different types, recording formats(?), features, etc. so that I can make an informed decision when I buy. I've found a few good sources that explain the very basics, but it's a slow process searching through all the info on the net. Most of what I've found is regarding outfitting DLSRs for use as a video camera. I want to go beyond DLSRs and learn about digital cameras built for video purposes as a primary use. What sources or Youtube channels should I review to educate myself about such things. Thanks.

Seth Bloombaum October 2nd, 2016 12:23 PM

Re: Help me learn about the different types of video cameras

Your question is very broad and somewhat difficult to answer. I've never looked for these sources of info on Youtube & etc., mostly what we find there is very detailed and granular. Perhaps a backgrounder on types and uses of video cameras exists - I don't know.

Here at DVInfo you've entered a community of users that ranges from amateur to professional, in several related industries. For the pro, a camera is just a tool. Rent a different one if the cam at hand isn't quite right for a project.

You'll get lots of good info here if you can narrow in your question a bit. What kinds of shooting do you want to do? How much would be reasonable to spend to do it? There are so many cameras, including video camcorders ranging in cost from a few hundred to many tens of thousands of US dollars.

They share many basics with DSLR cameras, but are optimized for video, most with good audio recording, ergonomics, and imaging. It's amazing what you can get for a couple thousand...

In my opinion, you *do* need to know something about the tools, but, they're employed for a purpose, and knowing something about what purposes you're about will help to bring a specific class of cameras forward for your review, and help guide your learning.

Boyd Ostroff October 2nd, 2016 02:17 PM

Do you ever get up to New York City? If so, a visit to B&H Photo would be well worth your while. They have all the current cameras on display in a "shooting gallery" where you can play with them. IMO, there's no substitute for holding a camera in your own hands and looking through the viewfinder with your own eyes. Even if you aren't ready to buy, it's a great place to browse and learn.

Dave Blackhurst October 2nd, 2016 02:51 PM

You may as well say you want to know about cars... as Seth said, the question is so broad that it's not answerable.

A camera is a TOOL, a device. You can shoot video with anything from a cell phone to a very expensive specialized camera for shooting high speed events.... with good or bad results depending on skill and camera technique (and of course the suitability of the tool for the job...). A knowledgeable shooter can get pretty good results from a cell phone, because they know the basics of how to frame and compose, and if the app supports it, how to fine tune the settings..

DSLR's have been popular for a while now, virtually ANY device with a lens and a sensor CAN "shoot video", there are still some who use "dedicated video cameras", and of course professional (broadcast) video is another "thing" as well.

I'll just suggest a good "reverse engineering" technique - there are three major manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, and Canon). Go to their sites, pick a video camera, start reading the marketing spiel and the specs. when you come to a word or phrase that's unknown or unfamiliar, GOOGLE it, that will get you hooked into "the lingo" and most likely give you more information to ask more focused questions. Sooner or later, you'll have to go "hands on", or it's all academic, but at least you'll know a bit about what the camera can do.

Eugen Brinzoiu October 3rd, 2016 12:49 AM

Hello there
Start with this guy.....

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCx5KB2QDUDH-o8PFnF3yJCQ

And then ,yes,go to BH photo and ask this question there....
You'll be surprised.
Good luck

Jon Fairhurst October 3rd, 2016 12:20 PM

An alternative approach would be to summarize your goals. Here are some typical ones:

* I want to make a cinematic masterpiece.
* I want to film my kid in a play.
* I want to make a documentary.
* I want to stream church services, live.
* I want to film birds in remote locations.
* I want to film hummingbirds in slow motion.
* I want to make a timelapse film at a building site.
* I want to go out on the street and do interviews.
* I want a bird's eye view of a landscape.

Oh, and then mention the budget.

Each situation calls for a different range of equipment. Creative people can adapt equipment that isn't ideal to be able to do a great job in a poorly matched environment, but it's easier if you start with the right stuff.

Anyway, sharing the use case and budget would help people list the best options and eliminate poor matches.