I hate it that my HD cams don't look as sharp as 4K cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:04 PM   #1
New Boot

I hate it that my HD cams don't look as sharp as 4K cams

I am kinda go into some personal life choices I have that have to do with my video/photo side business. I am mostly looking for some honest feedback and maybe some experience from people who went from APSC sensor/HD video cam and upgrade to 4K vdieo cams.

Currently my main cams are Canon 70D and Sony NEX EA50 and an assortment of F3.5, 1.8 and 2.8 zoom lenses . While these cameras offer great video and work wonderful for weddings I ended up convincing myself its not that good ever since I compared to lets say the 4K video cameras like a Panny GH4 has.. Nor can I even get S log video from these cams.

Even a video shot at 4K downgraded to HD will still look more detail and crisper than a video shot at HD. It also seems like the 4K video is what more and more professionals are also using.

My photo and video business is more of a side job to me and I don't even charge that much. I honestly don't even know if I should invest more time and money into it or just concentrate on improving my IT career. I've also done about 50 or so weddings and special events. I don't consider myself that good compared to a lot of the videos I see around here but i don't think my work sucks neither.

I know my client's wouldn't even notice if i were to shoot at 1280x720 using kit lenses. This right here should be a good enough reason not worry about 4K video.

So I suppose my choices are

A) Buy a GH5 and eventually switching to panny as my main cams. (althought I am very comfortable with my current gear. And although I don't always use AF I do sometimes rely on it for like slow zooms and what not.)
B) Maybe look into shooting video using more prime lenses?
C) Don't buy anything now, wait as long as possible. I am sure eventually the 100D will be offering 4K video by the time I will need it? or the 5D mark5 will offer more usabled 4K video?
D) upgrade to 80D and 5d Mark 4 and get a little more dynamic range and some noticable video improvements.
E) Give up photo and video. Learn programming and make 60-90K a year as suppose to my current 40 plus K a year salary

Another big factor is that a buddy wants to be business partners with me. He does a lot of small business with his family and with other friends and knows a lot of people in the Arab/Indian community. I myself have been hired to film a couple of different indian/Arab weddings and so I wouldn't mind.

I am probably gonna go with a combination of B and C. Yet i still keep going looking at the panny GX5 thats gonna come out and even the A7s and G85 and that not. I can't keep my mind of the improve video quality and the fact that you can shot in S log for more dynamic range. I also do like the form factor. My ultimate wish cam would be a cam that takes video like a GH5, but has the focus of a 80D with the form factor of a NEX EA50, has a dynamic range like a A7RII and a zoom lens like a RX10 iii. Anyways hopefulyl I made anyu sense. I really don't wanna spend all day editing one post.

Last edited by Francisco Estrada; October 22nd, 2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: words
Francisco Estrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion