DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   IPHONE 7 PLUS 4K VIDEO: Wildlife World Zoo, Phoenix Arizona (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/533007-iphone-7-plus-4k-video-wildlife-world-zoo-phoenix-arizona.html)

Dan Carter November 4th, 2016 12:39 PM

IPHONE 7 PLUS 4K VIDEO: Wildlife World Zoo, Phoenix Arizona

iPhone 7 Plus goes wild at the Wildlife World Zoo in Phoenix Arizona.

Some low-light and 3X digital zoom for comparison.

Gear:
iPhone 7 Plus
Standard iPhone Camera App
Shoulderpod S1
Manfrotto 560B Fluid Monopod

Simon Denny November 4th, 2016 01:15 PM

Re: IPHONE 7 PLUS 4K VIDEO: Wildlife World Zoo, Phoenix Arizona

Gota say, looks good. I've always said that in the future all that one will need is an iPhone or some sort of phone... and a way to capture audio. Imagine 5 yrs from now with how it's going to be.

Seth Bloombaum November 4th, 2016 04:59 PM

Funny, these shots don't ***look*** handheld!

All you need is an iPhone. Oops, and a tripod. Oh, don't forget you'll need to figure out sound too!

;-)

I should try hooking up a mixer to an iPhone, I think I have the adapters sitting around. How to stick it to a tripod?

Boyd Ostroff November 5th, 2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1923198)
How to stick it to a tripod?

I have an iPhone 6s Plus. For fun, I made a "tripod mount"… just a 3" angle iron with a 1/4" nut to attach it to the tripod. I used a piece of duct tape to attach the phone to the angle iron. Cost: $0.

Didn't shoot any video that way, but it did a fantastic job of taking panoramas. Looked really comical on my Miller DS-10...

Dan Carter November 5th, 2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1923187)
Gota say, looks good. I've always said that in the future all that one will need is an iPhone or some sort of phone... and a way to capture audio. Imagine 5 yrs from now with how it's going to be.

Despite having shot many semi-pro and consumer camcorders and DSLRs, I'm still amazed by the quality of the current iPhones. And most of all the built-in 5.5 inch monitor.

Many thanks for watching and commenting Simon.

Dan Carter November 5th, 2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1923198)
Funny, these shots don't ***look*** handheld!

All you need is an iPhone. Oops, and a tripod. Oh, don't forget you'll need to figure out sound too!

;-)

I should try hooking up a mixer to an iPhone, I think I have the adapters sitting around. How to stick it to a tripod?

This project was actually shot using the Manfrotto 560B fluid monopod, and Shoulderpod S1.

Thanks for watching Seth.

Seth Bloombaum November 5th, 2016 10:55 AM

I was trying to keep my tongue-in-cheek in my comments. If I'd read more closely I would have seen your production notes, but I did enjoy the clip.

We're in the beginning or middle of some sort of evolution to smartphones/tablets in personal film-making. I'll be looking at some footage on Monday, the shooter tells me some was shot on a Panasonic HMC-150, and some on iPad; she prefers the look of the iPad! We'll see how I can help her match them in Premiere.

In all seriousness, I'm ready to use any small camera that looks good, but have less patience with shaky handheld footage with crappy indirect sound.

I'm serious about trying a mixer connection to iPhone... I have a little 3.5mm TRRS-male to two 3.5mm TRS-female adapter that I use for mic/phones connections on a Macbook, which ought to work equally well into a phone.

I also note that a very reputable local film workshop organization is offering two courses on iFilmmaking!