Transcoding ProRes to H.265 for archival purposes... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transcoding ProRes to H.265 for archival purposes...

Hi all. I posted this over at DVXuser but it's not really getting a lot of traction over there, so I thought I'd try here. Not really sure this is the right section to post this in, but here it goes.

So I'm trying to free up space on my HDDs, ("space is cheap, just buy another one, blah, blah, blah"), and I had this wild hair to transcode my old ProRes files (they're mostly 4K 4:2:2 10 bit clips from a GH4 recording to a Ninja Flame) to h.265, simply because I don't think I'll ever use this footage ever again. So I did a test over the weekend where I transcoded the ProRes files from an entire project into HEVC, made a copy of the original project file, and then relinked the ProRes files to the new h.265 files. I did a test render and then compared the ProRes to the h.265, and they're visually the same. The original file sizes from the ProRes project was ~160GB, and the h.265 is less than 10GB. Space saved.

SO.

Is this a good idea to pursue? I am really only doing this to projects that have been wrapped up for a while and that I don't think I'll touch ever again. I just don't know about the archival qualities of the HEVC codec, as it's still pretty new.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Transcoding ProRes to H.265 for archival purposes...

I go one step further. Once a few months have gone by and the customer is satisfied I archive the project only keeping the final standard def movie delivered and a hd movie for the future. All the original video gets deleted. This yields around 10gb per project allowing me to archive many years on a single hard drive.

In all my time I've only had a couple of times where I needed to go back and it was only to make an additional copy of the dvd produced or pull a few clips together for a compilation for a studio anniversary. Never needed the original footage.

I'm looking to buy two 4tb drives so I can fit all my archives on one drive and mirror. If you don't reduce the size of your projects then your one hard drive failure away from losing everything. Hard drives commonly fail after 6 years.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just prefer the more... careful method of keeping the footage. H.265 is working great so far on the space saving front.

SB
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
H.265 is working great so far on the space saving front.
Are you saving it as 10-bit 422 H.265 or 8-bit 420 H.265?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure (I can't find where to change the bit depth in Media Encoder) that it's going down to 8-bit.

SB
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
I'm pretty sure (I can't find where to change the bit depth in Media Encoder) that it's going down to 8-bit.
I would also assume 4:2:0 unless you have a setting for that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion