Handing Over Source Files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 10th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Tourist

Handing Over Source Files?

Hi All. I've worked in video production since the old Video Toaster days and took a hiatus from it for a few years to focus more on still photography work. I shoot full-time as a freelancer and I primarily only focus on corporate events. I've been getting a lot of requests for video again and I've decided to invest in some updated gear and have been shooting video a lot lately. Mostly things like keynote presenters and B-roll footage for what I will later edit into a sizzle reel of the client event. I'm using Premiere CC.

I've been doing this now for about two years, shooting about 50/50 stills and video and my clients all seem very happy with what I've produced for them. Twice lately though, my clients asked for all the footage I shot in case they wanted to use it for something later, which is fine. I only deliver that once I've been paid the final balance. Some clients though are asking me for the actual Premiere file though, which seems a bit weird to me as many of the rendered transition effects I use they wouldn't have access to nor would the file locations line up on their computer. Nonetheless, I have a client or two that has asked for the files and something about that doesn't sit right with me.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you hand over the master file of the video to your clients when asked?
Adam Sternberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Handing Over Source Files?

Adam, have you asked them why they want the Premiere files?

What does your contract/brief consist of ?

1. Producing a finished product (all edited etc) or
2. Providing them with the original files.

It sounds like they may want to use your original footage for future projects. If they do, then the cost to them between 1 and 2 should reflect the loss of income to you if they do things themselves.

Sounds like they have someone with Premiere who has said, "Give me the original files and I can do any future work, it'll be a lot cheaper for us !!!"

Peter
Peter Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Adam, welcome aboard.

We had a huge discussion about this topic over on our Weddings & Events forum.

It might be helpful to check it out the replies there:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...w-footage.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
Adam, have you asked them why they want the Premiere files?

What does your contract/brief consist of ?

1. Producing a finished product (all edited etc) or
2. Providing them with the original files.

It sounds like they may want to use your original footage for future projects. If they do, then the cost to them between 1 and 2 should reflect the loss of income to you if they do things themselves.

Sounds like they have someone with Premiere who has said, "Give me the original files and I can do any future work, it'll be a lot cheaper for us !!!"

Peter
Good questions. Our contract stipulates the footage was to be used to create a sizzle reel. I do not specify anything about providing raw footage. Perhaps I need to fix that.

I'm coming from working in still photography for many years so getting back into video means I have to adjust my contracts accordingly for the new media format. Typically when I shoot stills, I offer two different rates...one for shooting JPGs and delivering them right out of camera and another where I shoot in RAW and provide RAW processing in post to adjust the images. With that, I usually deliver the photos as .tif files or high-res JPGs. It's almost never that anyone asks for my RAW files, so I didn't really think about this too much when I started contracting video work. Hence, the reason for me creating this thread. Was just curious how others handle this.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Hi Adam, welcome aboard.

We had a huge discussion about this topic over on our Weddings & Events forum.

It might be helpful to check it out the replies there:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...w-footage.html
A very long thread but I'll be sure to read through it. Lots of opinions though, many are all over the place.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Everything depends on what you agreed with your client, if nothing has been said about raw footage you should have that mentioned in your contract and charge accordingly. For the premiere project files I would also charge a price, when they want that it can mean they have someone in house who will use those files to make changes or make additions, you are the one who is loosing out on money if they do their own re-edits and in such a case so you should be compensated for that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Not having read the thread over on Weddings & Events...

I think that a lot depends on the nature of your agreements.

Is it for production services? That is, do you hire out for dayrate plus rentals and expenses as a shooter?

Is it for productions? That is, do you agree to a set of specifications for delivery of a finished project?

To me, your brief description sounds like production services, plus a little editing. As such, you should be paid for every minute you're spending for the client, without cap, plus overtime. It's time & materials. IMO it's typical for a services shooter / editor to provide copies of original footage. The negotiating points for time & materials are hour-rates, half-day-rates, and day-rates, with a fixed markup on expenses.

To me the delivery of prproj files is a red herring. It's odd, for sure, but why wouldn't we understand that a client who is paying time & materials might want all work product? Maybe they will have someone internal or external plug in a few new faces next year, but that's the deal with production services.

Productions, going out as a production company is different...
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Trustee

I consider myself the best guy in the world to do business with and I prove that to my clients every day. Please don't read ego or "the best" I am talking about customer service and I am one one of the best in my market when it comes to that. I am easy to do business with. I have never had such a request and I would not honer it unless it was one of my established long term clients I have a great relationship with. Those are many, but turn over a time line to a one shot client......no way!!! Building relationships is the key. It is not a one way street. They can not produce a list of demands. It has to be an honorable and mutual business relationship.

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; May 15th, 2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: SP
Steven Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion